Last Light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a repost without out all of the previous “issues”. The image has been lightly processed so the colors you see are in the raw file.

Specific Feedback

Any and all are appreciated

Technical Details

Canon EOS ID MII with 70-200 lens 1/30 sec F/8

James, what a beautiful image you reposted here. If I may make a suggestion, many people opt to add a re-edit along with the original photo. That way, future users can see all previous comments. and compare the two versions of the same photo. I am guessing that this repost is from your “The Days End” photo. If you would be so kind to add this to the original post, it would be very helpful to anyone who looks at that post. In your description here you talk about “issues,” but a viewer like me has no idea what those issues were.

Here is how you can add your edited photo to appear side by side with the OP. That will help viewers scroll from the revised to the original version very easily without having to scroll down or figure out where you post the revisions. It’s also good to revise the title of the post to indicate there is a revised version. Here’s what I suggest:

(1) Add +rework or +re-edit to the very first line of your post that shows the title. Just click the pencil icon to modify that title.

(2) To add the re-edited image next to the original one, you’ll click on the pencil icon at the bottom of the original post. You are then taken to the edit mode of your entry. I would suggest to place the cursor at the very top before the original image. That way, the re-edited photo will be the first we see. Please make sure you do not remove the original image. If you want, add some text after the re-edited and original images. That will help viewers know which image they are looking at, if not completely obvious.

Again, these are only suggestions. If you want further assistance, please do not hesitate to write back. I’m sending this note only to you since it doesn’t have to clutter your photo entry.

Thank you for the info, it is very helpful ,since I am still learning the ins and outs of the posting format. The original post has been removed from my, files since it was total disaster. Again, thank you for your help.

1 Like

You’re very welcome. Feel free to reach out to any moderator regarding questions or issues with the site. Incidentally, your original post is still up but without the original photo. You can always go back to the original post and follow the suggestions I wrote above to include this re-edit and indicate that change in the title.

This is a lovely sunset with a very interesting landscape base, but I have hesitations about the sky color. The colors and contrast in a raw file are completely dependent on the profile and the white balance. And both are completely flexible and none of them can promise an accurate representation of a scene. In this case it would be interesting to compare a cooler WB, to tone down the yellows in the sky, which I believe rarely if ever occur in nature. I would first try some of the more neutral profiles, and tweak WB with each. I suspect the most realistic settings will show more blue in the sky and push the yellows a bit more to an orange or peach tone.