Late Interlude + Repost

Here’s a version with the suggested contrast adjustment:

Here’s another image from Mt. Rainier from last month, this time as an interlude before another couple of the Tatoosh Range and snow texture. While we were pitching our tents the sun broke through some distant clouds to splash on the mountain, so we paused setting up camp to take an image.

Specific Feedback Requested

I shot this both vertical and horizontal, but in the end decided that the “extra” in both images really didn’t add, and actually robbed from the mountain. Does the square crop work for you? All thoughts/suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
FUJIFILM X-T30
FUJIFILM XF 10-24mm F4 at 10 mm (15 mm equivalent)
1/250 sec. at f/6.4 and ISO 160

Sunset that evening was pretty good too, but I didn’t have enough time after setting up camp to get to a reasonable location. (This is a cell phone snap.)

What’s going on here, no snow pillows or purple clouds and alpenglow on the snow? Oops, I just scrolled down a bit to your second post, I knew you wouldn’t disappoint John. You do have a distracting merger in the two tents though :grin:

All kidding aside, I like the composition and graphic shapes of the trees in the image. The foreground light in the image feels a bit flat relative to what is going on at the summit. This image might be a good candidate for B&W where you could play more off the graphics and push the foreground contrast a bit more than you could in color. In the color image the light in the sky and summit dominate over the graphic shapes in the foreground. In B&W I think you could get more balance between the two.

I assume this series was taken near the Paradise area ?

Nicely light up peak with the clouds and/or blowing snow. I would agree with @Ed_McGuirk on both the foreground and B&W potential. The phone snap provides some eye candy with that sky.

That must have been a great trip John! Wonderful light on the peak and especially like the snow blowing off to the right.

I too would like to see a bit more of those shapes that are currently only hinted at in the foreground.

John, your square crop works well at letting the peak, the blowing snow and the sky have the dominant role. I do like the eye motion that the snow field at the bottom adds with it’s own “peak”.

Thank you @Harley_Goldman , @Bill_Crich , @Mark_Seaver , @Ed_McGuirk for the feedback. Looking at the image with your thoughts, it sure does look better with more contrast. I’m posting an edit using your suggestions.

Ed, this was in the Paradise area just north of Mazama Ridge.

1 Like

Thanks John, that’s what I suspected.