Layered Merced River Canyon

It’s with mixed emotions that I chose to post this first from my recent fall trip to Yosemite Valley last week. As long as I’ve been behind a camera I have always wanted to have an image of layers of receding ridgelines - You know, the ones made famous in the Great “Smokey” Mountains? I finally got what I wanted.

But it’s a sad image… the air quality that creates this scene is simply horrid. While this image was taken days before the start of the raging, tragic Camp file north of Sacramento where 9 have already died… Very sad. My thoughts and prayers to all those who continue to be affected by all the fires. Speaking of which, the location of this image was in the destruction path of the more recent Ferguson fire that burned nearly 100,000 acres this summer in Yosemtie. That fire came perilously close - by just a few miles, to Yosemite Valley proper.

But to the image(s). I recall Harley asking before about noise being introduced in the b&w conversion. I’m using Nik’s Silver Efex Pro 2 for the conversion and tweaking from there. The b&w was pretty extreme processing with various layers to boost contrast, etc. Did I go too far?

I processed the color completely separately. Would like to know your thoughts on either and which you prefer. Any suggestions for processing such a hazy image (the original is hazy and flat.) I retained some of the blue in the color image as it was a “blue” haze.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any, all feedback always welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800E, NIkon 28-300mm @105mm f/11

ps. There’s a sign posted here that reads something like, “On a clear day… you can see 186 miles to the Pacific coast and visibility has been increasing by about 2 miles each year…”

The far range at the very top of the image is not the coast range, but the inland range that separates the Bay Area from the San Joaquin valley (seen covered in haze) Mt. Diablo is in that range and might be visible in the upper left.

Tidbits…

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

That is a lot of layers?
Excellent but tragic. The fires are incredible…
I prefer the color version.

A lot of beautiful layers, even if caused by bad air quality. Definitely the B&W for me. It has more impact and the classic look. You might try some noise reduction to diminish the grainy looking sky? Not really a big deal at this size and at larger, only you can tell. This turned out real nice.

B&W for me, too. Love the layers, and I agree with applying some NR to the sky.

In the color version, the sky has a pretty high cyan level.

Nice image, sir!
-P

I much prefer the B&W, but do find the noise in the sky in the large version to be too distracting. My solution is to process the sky and the rest of the image separately - I went into some detail in my response to Harley’s post and don’t want to hijack your post with a repetition. I’ll be happy to get into some details in a private message if you wish, or perhaps we can get a thread in the Post Processing category going. I just don’t know whether there would be interest in it. But back to your image, I find the color version a bit “mundane”, a bit like an old slide. The black and white completely eliminates that feeling.

Another vote for b&w. I think that dark ridge doesn’t work in color too well. If you raise the darks in the color version and crop out the dark ridge you can come up with some interesting comps.

Great Image! Love the different view of Yosemite that most ignore in favor of the view of the valley. I also like the BW, until I saw the color image I thought this was taken at golden hour. Noise doesn’t look too bad for all the post processing done in the BW only a little noticeable in sky so maybe a little NR could help there.

@Alberto_Patino-Douce, thank you so much for your comments and observation. Your comment about the color version I think is spot on - however, you should see the RAW! :roll_eyes:

I did go back to your comments on Harley’s post - so thanks for that.

Thanks for the comments all! I agree that the noise in the sky is an issue and that the b&w is stronger. Alberto’s comments are spot on.

Thanks for the comments!

Lon, I also prefer the b&w. The dark ridge on the bottom doesn’t work as well in color. I also notice some darker areas along the tops of the middle ridges on both side of the photo. Not sure of that’s a result of processing. Overall this is very nice and you certainly do have some great layers.

Lon, the multitude of layers are awesome (and yes, the sense of the Great Smokey Mtns is very strong). Too sad that the name is currently appropriate for CA. The b&w version really shows off those layers well, with a fine bit of extra pop on all of the ridge lines. The cloud layers in the sky fit well also. I’m a bit surprised by the noise, was your iso cranked way up?

I also would vote for the B & W. I am a B & W fan and want to try more if it! Well done Lon!

1 Like

Another vote for the black and white! I have noticed that some of the types of b/w conversion in Nik create more noise than others. I believe if you click through the film strip options on the left and focus on the noise for each, you will fone the best option. You can still add contrast even in the lower contrast options, and that’s what I usually do.

What do you think of the cloud texture at the very top? My first impression was that you could crop a tish off the top so the receding layers recede into a smoky, undifferentiated sky. Now I think the textured sky adds a mirror effect with the layered ridgelines. The good news there is I keep going back to it.
ML

1 Like

This is a really cool shot @Lon_Overacker. I really think it suits the B&W, especially with the haze in the valleys. I’m always a sucker for a good mono and this one is really smart.

Did you by any chance take an image at a longer focal length of this (ie: just of the lighter hills)? For my own reasons I’d like to see how that turned out :slight_smile:

Thanks again folks for the comments and suggestions! B&W it is. The RAW is downright pretty bland, but of course not too noisy. Definitely over processed.

Thanks @Marylynne_Diggs, I like the crop idea as the clouds up top don’t really mesh with the whole layering concept, haze, etc. Also, I’m gonna take another look at processing this to reduce the overall noise.

Thanks all!

Lon, my vote is for the B&W, I think it inherently achieves more tonal separation than the color version. If you had shifted your point of view further to the right, the composition here would look very similar to that of Mortons Overlook in the Smokies.

Regarding the noise in the B&W version, I used to be a big fan of Nik Silver Efex and used it for a number of years. But over time I found that while some of the presets created wonderful B&W conversions, many of them added noise, especially in skies and areas of low detail like your ridge-lines. I suspect that the Nik “structure slider” creates that noise, and many of the presets have structure used. You may want to try conversions where you reduce structure to zero, or alternatively mask it out of skies, etc. I also find that the level of contrast you can achieve with Nik’s sliders creates halo-ing too. About 3 years ago, I stopped using Nik for B&W conversions and instead use the Photoshop B&W filter for conversion and the TK luminosity mask panel / adjustment layers for contrast/exposure adjustments. I found that I got less noise and halo-ing this way, and that it was much easier to make local adjustments using masks rather than Nik control points (especially for things like structure).

Another vote for B&W. If offers some clarity and a really nice contrast. But you’ve had ample and great feedback on the images themselves.

For me, the story this image tells is what makes it. It speaks to me specifically because I just had my first visit to Yosemite last month, and the reality of the air quality is palpable. I was there in a relatively good time for air quality, but it was still hazy in that part of California. This image nicely paints the direct effect that the cities in the region and the nearby agricultural industry has on the valley. It subtly depicts a very real impact that we humans have on a beautiful natural place.

Thank you for sharing.

Beautiful layered image. Gravitating to the color version - like the cool tones and softer feeling of that image. I might suggest experimenting with a little more aggressive crop. Taking most of the sky down to the last layer, and reducing some of the deep shadows at the bottom with a crop. The result may move the viewer from bottom right to top left, prompting one to explore each layer more thoroughly. Great comp either way!

Hi Lon,
I love the black and white and have always wanted to get this kind of image also. So sad about the fires/smoke and frightening to think it is the new normal. I don’t think there are any suggestions I can make as this looks excellent to me.