Blackwater River Canyon

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and all appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D800, Nikkor 35-135, 1/20 @ f/16, ISO 100, -0.5 ec to keep control of mist

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I took this a couple years ago right after the Park Service cleared this viewpoint. My brother has a shot from here that has almost the entire valley blocked.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This is a real nice take from this vantage point, Mike. I think the layering with the receding ridgelines works beautifully as it draws me into the image and gives the scene some wonderful depth. The trees flanking the right and left sides also help draw the eye into this lovely view. Of course the star of the show is the fog winding it’s way through the valley. Great mood with this one!

Really moody image Mike, that fog is marvelous. You caught this with just the right amount of fog to accentuate those diagonal ridge lines. The framing of the trees is very well done as well, it creates a great feeling of depth. The processing looks good to me, I like that you kept this somewhat cool in WB. My only suggestion for improvement might be to crop a sliver off the top by going to a 16:9 aspect ratio, I think it would place even further emphasis on the fog in the valley. But that is a nit, overall this a wonderful moody image.

Michael,

Hard to argue with Ed and Ed… great mood and the fog indeed does play a great role; also accentuating the ridge lines. A classic layered valley landscape.

Had you considered b&w? You might be able to even enhance the fog, ridges and layering. But the color works nicely too.

No nits or other suggestions.

Lon

Thanks @Ed_Lowe, @Lon_Overacker, @Ed_McGuirk. Per Ed’s and Lon’s suggestions is a repost

Hard to pick a favorite as they are both nicely done, Mike. I think the fog and mist in the B&W makes the image even more moody and mysterious. You can not go wrong with either one IMO.

I like both versions also. I think both could use a slight crop off the left and top—just Europe remove the branch creeping into the left side and the uppermost cloud. I’m not sure the fir on the left is critical and that might be why you kept the othe branch? Just a thought…

Great layers and atmosphere here. I really enjoy looking at this.
ML