Layers from Blue Mountain

Image Description

Just joined NPN and thought I’d share a recent image to get things started. Feel free to let me know if I do something wrong re: posting, norms, etc. :slight_smile:

I’m working on a long-term project photographing Washington’s Olympic Peninsula. On a recent trip in June, I explored up around the Deer Park area and saw this lovely scene to the north across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The air was fairly hazy, hiding these layers for the most part, but when the sun went behind a small cloud (from my perspective), I rushed to quickly grab a telephoto landscape of this view of Vancouver Island. Definitely one of my favorite photos from 2023 (and the Olympic project) so far.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Honestly, this is one of my favorite images in a while and I don’t have many issues with it. It was such a low-contrast and backlit scene that the Sigma 100-400 wasn’t able to autofocus on the ridges at all, so I had to manual focus. I think I got about 98% of the way there, but it was a pretty soft scene anyway. I’d be curious to hear thoughts on the overall balance of the image, I think? General thoughts? Anything I’m not even considering? Cheers :slight_smile:

Technical Details

Sony a7R IV
Sigma 100-400 @ ~350mm
f/20 (for some Sony-specific reasons that I can get into another day)
1/20 sec
ISO 100

Kind of fun how little processing this one needed. I’ve tried to attach a screen shot of the raw file from LR just to demonstrate. Basically just added a touch of contrast.

4 Likes

Welcome to NPN!! I hope you’ll find this a great place to hang out and share images and ideas!

I love soft light like this, although it may sadly be from some of the smoke up that way. I think you processed it well to keep the interesting look. (I always go too far.) My only suggestion would be to crop a little from the top. A more horizontal format suits the lines you have.

Welcome to the site Brian. This a very interesting and moody image you have posted here. I agree with Diane that there might be a little too much of the sky. I would try a 16x9 crop, and possibly lower the exposure a bit and add some contrast. I went ahead and tried that in Lightroom to see what it would look like.

Thanks Ted and Diane!

I think I do still prefer the higher key, more ethereal edit (trying to stay pretty true to the scene with most of my work), but will definitely consider the narrower aspect ratio. I’ve been gravitating more and more towards 16x9s and panos lately, so that would fit in nicely. Still not quite decided yet though. Part of me does like the empty sky above to add some more space up there? Can’t put my finger on why. Will think it over for a bit more and consider. Thanks again!

Hey Brian,

welcome to NPN (I only joined a few weeks ago, too).

I really like your image a lot. It’s that kind of almost Fine Art image with very little details and a lot of atmosphere. Cropping or not – I really like the transitions from colder to warmer tones, and the fading level of blacks to the back that gives it a lot of depth. Awesome!

1 Like

I like your original processing with maybe a slight crop of the sky, but not much.

1 Like

Beautiful image. I really love how soft everything looks, and the cool-to-warm transition throughout the photo. As far as balance goes I think everything looks pretty good, the mountains are relatively symmetrical and I like your framing. The only thing I might try to bring a big more balance into the image would be a very subtle dark linear gradient in the sky. I think that would sort of mirror the gradient on the water and might help hold the eye in towards the layers. Overall this is a really solid shot and I like how minimally you processed everything.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Brian and I am sure you will enjoy the community. Starting off with a great image! I do enjoy those kind of photographs. I agree with Ted lowering the exposure a bit, but that is a personal preference and your choice. All in all very nice, thanks for sharing.

Brian, welcome to NPN. This is an excellent first post. I like the dreamy atmosphere and the great layers. Add me to those who find too much sky. I’m not sure where you are in terms of making prints, but when/if you do prints, keeping a “standard” aspect ratio is important. Given that many of us are looking at photos on a computer monitor, the 16:9 aspect fills the screen in most instances.