Morning Smog

I’ve always enjoyed landscape images depicting stacked different mountain layers of blues and grays. I find the simplicity of the shapes alone create a compelling moodiness. Typically, the mountains are quite far away. Here’s one I took yesterday morning with greens and grays and a considerable amount of smog due to the current fire situation in the West. It is now been a week of smoke in the Puget Sound area with perhaps some improvement in the coming days.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 100, 24 to 70 at 70 mm, F8, 200th, A7r4

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

The smog really does a great ob of creating layers in this image, David. In the small image it almost looks like grayscale, but the greens and browns start showing through nicely in the larger version.

Hey David, what a great image! I love the receding layers in the top 2/3 of the image. The foreground is ever so slightly distracting and I’d be tempted to dodge the darker component of the foreground to unite its luminance with the surrounding water/mud.

I find the very subtle color to be an interesting “component” in and of itself. It actually causes a bit of tension to me as I’m wondering whether there is or isn’t color present in the image. For that, I personally would be tempted to commit to B&W, or add a bit more color to demonstrate it more clearly. Again - your vision, not mine.

David, the layers stand out well here. I also like the subtly of the colors and the overall balance with the mud flats, trees and sky.

This is such a lovely scene! I love the layers and hints of tree shapes in the midground and the subtle hint of color. The opening in the trees invites me back into the scene to explore. Well done!