Pardon my grey (gray?) cast

A little bit of smoke and mirrors here. The view from my deck this morning. And I was going to go out shooting birds today with Dennis Plank. Yes the fires are bad and sad and the latest NOAA smoke map is depressing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon 1, iso 320, 100mm, 1/60, f8

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Looks like you have plenty of shorebirds on your tideflat, David. I’ve been surprised at what seems to be a minimal reaction to the smoke on the part of the birds. Our Goldfinches were staring to taper off and I was about ready to quit feeding, but since the fire down here last Tuesday, we’ve been mobbed. he only reaction I can see is that the birdbaths have been very heavily used. I’ve had to change water/refill two or three times a day and Goldfinches aren’t normally heavy bathers.

I like this image a lot. The smog creates a very cool atmosphere. The dominance of the plain gray smog/water at the top works very well.

These are mallards. There are close to 300 of them at the time when the tides are just coming in. But they are spread out over a 1000 feet.
No other ducks yet. I am primarily seeing gulls, cormorants, crows, and the occasional Bald Eagle.

Definitely, “lost in the haze” here David. The change from textured at the bottom, the “line” of ducks and then gray sky works well.