Snow Geese on the Bay

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I am curious if birds stand out enough. I tried to be careful because of the noise.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, 700mm, f/5.6, 1/1250, ISO 1600. Photo is cropped to 85% of horizontal and custom pano crop for vertical. I removed a few stragglers.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I like the mood created by the shot-I’m thinking a calm, cool, end of the day after the sun has gone down with the sound of birds in the distance. (or is this a sunrise?) The birds stand out okay, though I wouldn’t be able to identify them specifically.

Thanks Allen. It is an early calm cool morning looking straight south. Yes you hear the honking and then you look. Some clear mornings looking into the sunlight you can’t see them, only hear them.

I like this, David. The birds stand out well enough and the ones against the sky convey the message so you realize what the rest are. There’s no need for them to stand out too much.

Quite a bit. Looks good enlarged on my screen. The colors are superb and the bird distribution works very well for the panoramic crop.

You have a wonderful capture of this large flock of birds in great light. To my eye the foreground and water is king of grungy looking. Maybe cropping the foreground up to that first distinct line would help. Here’s a quick look at it with the crop.

Thanks Larry. I had cropped out a larger portion of the bottom of the image which was even more ragged that the potion you took out. I like both options. That little bit of sandy mud flats at the bottom is meaningful to me in that is where the Dunlin and other shore birds as well as eagles and gulls would hang out. Visually I like the three layers and the thin dark layer on the bottom seems a nice contrast and ballast for the much brighter top layer.
I do agree with you. It is a bit ragged.