Snow Geese Landing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was the last part of a sequence of grabbing the eye of a BIF and keeping it. I Locked one of these pretty high in the sky and was able to keep them all the way down the contact with the water. This was my favorite capture of them coming down. That Nikon 4.1 firmware update is really swell for eyeball locking AF. This is from a recent visit to the Merced National Wildlife Refuge.

Specific Feedback

General feedback. I’m alway curious about cropping too.

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 750mm, ISO 1000, cropped to 2714 x 2194.

It did do a sweet job of locking the focus, Dave. It’s really nice that you were able to get both landing geese in the same plane. Some of the whites on the wings look like they might be blown out-you might want to see if you can get them back by pulling down the highlights in the RAW file.

Hi Dave, nice focus on both incoming birds. A busy scene with all the other birds in the frame. I’m wondering what cropping just below the coot would do. Don’t think you need the partial mallard.
Pretty cool that the wing positions are nearly identical on both birds. Seeing about darkening the brightest whites as Dennis mentions might help. Nice catch.

Nice catch. Both birds in same plane and attitude. Cropping: crop as @Allen_Sparks suggests. I wonder about the bright, horizontal lines across their necks, especially the one on the bird on the right.

Nice getting both birds in focus in the same landing position. I like the scene as presented with all that activity going on. It’s for scenes like this I go to NWR, whether I’m photographing or not.

Zackly! I am fortunate to be wishing reasonable striking distance of a couple of refuges. Always a kick.

Hi Dave
The background is fine, the Z9 did a good job taking a slice in time out of the Geese’s landing. I wonder if the white stripes on each Snow Geese is a reflection of something in the water? Anyway, nice still, with color, detail and action.
Peter

It’s the sun reflecting the ripples on the water. I’ll have to try cropping the bottom. Thanks.

Well done on the camera techs, the eye tracking works well. The pond is little crowded for my taste, but what can you do. Curious about your experience with the 200-500mm lens , are you satisfied? Cheers, Hans

Yes, it has served me well. Every image I’ve posted on here has been thru the 200-500 either in front of my D500 or Z9. I just wish it was waterproof, and had a shorter throw… like my backordered 180-600 will be.