Snow goose landing

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Comp, perception of place, impact

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

As we’re all spending time at home, I reviewed a few older images from Bosque Del Apache. This one from December 2017. Early morning light with an immature snow goose coming in for a landing in lovely morning light. About 90% of the full frame with a slight crop from the right and top.

Canon 7D Mark II
500mm f/4
1/1000 @ f/5.6, ISO 400

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great Light. Great Detail. Dramatic Impact!

Wonderful light you had here, Keith. Composition wise it’s perfectly placed for my taste. I may have been temped to horizontally flip the image, but that might be ‘learned appreciation’ as we see so many images with the subject looking or moving from left to right. That said I come to realise that for my website’s slideshow on the homepage I do the reverse to have the subject not interfere with the menu bar. A well, shut up Hans :wink: … So, no nits - simply a great image ! Cheers, Hans

Hi Keith, great light and a finely captured bird in flight - really sharp throughout (nicely done at 1/1000s). Complimentary background. Well done.

Excellent detail and landing pose in the wonderful Bosque light.

Beautiful detail and gorgeous light on the goose, Keith. I like the hint of the other geese along the bottom of the frame. You asked about sense of place. While knowing where you are, I’d automatically assume Bosque del Apache, it could easily be any of a number of Snow Goose wintering areas along the western flyway. That’s not a bad thing, it’s just that those locations have an awful lot in common.

This is gorgeous. That light is to die for. I agree with all the positives above. If I were to nitpick, I’d suggest trying to dodge the black splotch in the BG. Would love to have this in my files.

Superb wing and head position. Perfect composition for the diagonal wings. The light is spectacular. A beautiful image. If I were going to make any suggestion, I might increase the blur on what looks like a fence at the very base of the image.