Snow Geese

When I saw this one, I decided it would be appropriate to go back to a Bosque del Apache visit and use one of the massed Snow Goose shots that are so irresistible to take and so rarely useful as a final image. This was from mid-December 2017 and was taken at the crane pools pretty early on my first morning there. I liked the diagonal line of more in-focus birds that were also brighter for some reason. I accentuated the brightness in post processing, hopefully not to the point of unbelievability.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, probably on a tripod, f/7.1, 1/100, iso 2000, aperture priority, -1 EV. Processed in LR & PS CC.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Well, Dennis, you beat me to the Snow Geese, but mine arenā€™t in such numbers anyway. Whatā€™s cool is that thereā€™s almost always a few in focus. Nice frame filling and good exposure choice.

Dennis, is this a thousand geese or one that was cloned a thousand times?..:clown_face:ā€¦:cowboy_hat_face:
This one is amazing as there are only about several small gaps in the barrage of birds taking off or landing here. Yes, the diagonal you mention is noticeable after reading your comment.
Canā€™t say Iā€™d have any thoughts for change as it is such a massive visual overload it works just fine as it is presented IMOā€¦:+1:

Dennis, this is definitely a mass of Snow Geese that is quite impressive. The in focus parts are nicely scattered throughout the frame. Your statement, ā€œā€¦so rarely usefulā€¦ā€, raises the issue of photos grabbing attention. This one tells a great story about bird masses and migration but doesnā€™t jump out as a wall hanger. However, I suspect that this is a view that works better the bigger it is. If you have a large screen TV, it might be worth displaying it for a few hours (or days) to see what your reaction is. I can see it as a large print displayed at a Wildlife refuge.

I have an evil mindā€¦

Do you know anyone who produces jigsaw puzzles??? :rofl:

Now that is bazzillions of snow geese. Very cool effect with in an out of focus elements. An avian abstract

Dennis,

Iā€™ve only witnessed a take off like this a couple of times (and nowhere near as prolificā€¦) and this is a site to behold - and not to forget the sound! Great job filling the frame. What a site!

Processing, colors, luminosity, etc. all look terrific. No suggestions, just awe.

Lon

I think my computer screen is bigger than our television, Mark. We donā€™t watch enough to have a big one make sense.

Dennis: Not being a bird guy Iā€™ve never been to Bosque del Apache but this would almost make me want to visit. Besides the visual impact I bet the sound was wonderful. Really good stuff IMO. >=))>

Thatā€™s a lot of Snow Geese, Dennis! Iā€™d love to see it and hear it but I sure wouldnā€™t want to be under it :woozy_face: The slow shutter speed makes for an interesting effect, with all the heads in focus but the wings blurred. It clearly meets the requirements of the challenge!