Geese at Bosque del Apache

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have visited Bosque twice. This was my first attempt at a sunrise “lift off” at the flight deck, and inscrutably, as is so often true , my favorite. It was in early December and freezing cold. I returned a couple of years later and there was no lift off. The rangers said that the pond had been drained to dredge and remove non native plants, and the geese were avoiding it and spending their time elsewhere. I would love to know if they have returned…

Technical Details

Canon 5d IV, 100-400 II L lens with 1.4 extender, mounted on a tripod but not tightened down so that the camera and lens could swivel

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I envy you this moment Tony, freezing temps notwithstanding. I have some similar shots which fill the frame with birds (Dowitchers) but lack a compelling background. This captures the early morning sky color palette and takes me there. It is apparently backlit, but not so bright behind that I can’t detect some color in the birds. I can almost hear the wings and honking. Really important that you kept a slice of horizon on the bottom.

This is great. I love the color gradient behind the birds. If you squint just a bit it makes a great abstract piece.

Tony, the swatches of color behind the birds make this a fine photo. There are some light blue bits in the sky along the top and left edge with hard round edges that don’t match the surrounding sky.

Tony: I’ve never been to Bosque and I’m not a birder so I don’t know that I ever will but this is very cool. I noted the spots Mark mentioned too and think I would definitely make them go away. The BG makes the shot IMO. Great capture of a special moment. >=))>