Laysan Albatross

I really enjoyed photographing these Albatross at Kaena Point on Oahu a couple days ago. I was hoping to photograph the Albatross mating dance but most of them were too far away, I’ll try again soon hopefully or go back when the chicks hatch.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback appreciated. I don’t really shoot much wildlife but do really enjoy it so any tips would be great. Thank you

Technical Details

Nikon D810 with Tamron 100-400mm lens
ISO 1000, F/6.3 1/8000 sec @400mm

1 Like

Hello Glen, I hope you get to go back and get some shots of the mating dance and/or chicks.
This is a keeper as proof you were there. I love that you got some clouds in the background to add depth and texture. There is warmth from the sun in the colours which is lovely. I am glad the face isn’t in shadows. You didn’t say much about the light conditions…I am wondering if you need to shoot at 1/8000 for such a large bird? I might have started with something between 1/1000 and 1/2000.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for taking the time to critique my photo, I appreciate it. A keeper as proof I was there is not what I want so I need to keep trying and get better. This was taken about an hour before sunset, most of the birds were in shadow so I chose a higher ISO and used aperture priority mode. I was surprised my shutter speed was that high when I looked at the files on my computer.

Hello. I am sorry I hope I didn’t insult your photo. It is very exciting to catch a bird in flight. You were able to capture its eye and beak and the light is lovely. I do find the shadow of the wing beside the face distracting. I hope that gives you more information.

I am new to NPN and learning the art of critique. Like you I am constantly trying to improve.

You said you don’t do a lot of bird photos. My bird go to settings are to first set the shutter speed Eg 1/1000 for something perched. 1/2000 for something this big flying and upto 1/4000 for a hummingbird. I then tend to choose f8 as a start. I then use auto ISO which may end up quite large but can generally reduce any noise in post processing. I am curious whether you would find that approach useful.

Cheers, Robena

No worries Robena, I didn’t get offended. Your comment just made me realize I need to improve and just because I was able to get a shot of a bird in flight doesn’t mean its a good wildlife image. I think your critique was a good one and I appreciate it. I am also reasonably new here and have trouble critiquing other peoples images.
Thank you for your advice for on settings for shooting birds, I will give it a try next time I’m out.