Lehigh Gorge

Early one fall morning in 2017 I hiked the trail on PA state game lands to a rock outcrop that overlooks Lehigh Gorge State Park. There is not much room to move around once your out there. I took the first image and processed it at the time with Nikon View NXi. The second was reprocessed today with Lightroom for this challenge.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3300; 18-55 mm @ 18 mm; ISO 400; f/8; 1/80 sec.; Hand held.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nick, the rework is a major improvement, with the extra blue in the sky and much better separation within the tree and rocks on the right. This is quite a view.

Thanks Mark. I’ve been wanting to rework that image but it kept slipping my mind. Thank you for the challenge. I may go back there this fall for another try. The river is somewhat hidden under the early morning mist but there is a big oxbow bend in the river I want to try and capture.

Nick : I actually like the first image even better than the reworked version. It is more sombre and, with the sky less developed, it enhances for me a feeling of loneliness. I can see the technical arguments foe the second but this is just my personal response.

Thanks Ian. I know what you mean. I kind of like darker images myself. It was kind of a lonely morning out there on a rock on the side of a mountain.

I’m with Ian - I like the original better for it’s mood. It seems perhaps you brought the lights down on the re-edit? The golden hills have lost contrast and some color. Great scene - hope you can get back this fall.

Thanks for your input Bonnie. I should be able to get out there this fall.

I prefer the original as well. It doesn’t look contrived.

Thanks Igor. I have to say, I didn’t expect so many to like the original better.

I would combine the two using elements of each. I prefer the foreground of the reprocessed image is it’s slightly brighter and more definitive in its approach to the tree on the right. The sky in the second image should also be kept however I think the mountain’s in the distance look better in the original image.

Thanks for your opinion David. I thought the 2nd image was too bright. I reduced the exposure to give it the early morning feel that it was. I also wanted to bring back the golden fall colors of the mountains. I also reduced the exposure on the sky to keep the cloud separation and lighten the blue of the sky. This has become a work in progress. This is where I am right now.