Lesser Kestrel with Grasshopper

Lesser Kestrel with Grasshopper kill.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5D4; 500 mm; 2X; ISO 400; 1/2000 at F8.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

What a grand catch for the both of you, Jagdeep. Love the position he is in, and the slight head turn looking at you. I’m not sure if it was cloudy or what, but the sky does look gray on my screen, but the colors of the kestrel and the perch look nice. Great shot.

Awesome catch here, Jagdeep. I love the food item and the perch is super, too. The kestrel has a green tint to it. I think I would add just a bit of magenta to eliminate the tint but keep it warm.

Agree with the posturing here - very energetic. Interesting how the back of the bird is flat, but yields a dynamic pose in the scene. Is the overall image a bit dark? I’m on a laptop and cranked up the monitor brightness, but still wonder what you think. The greenish cast is present to me as well…so agree with @Adhika_Lie. Could the green cast be present in the background sky as well? I wasn’t there to know the color casting of the sky. Fantastic capture! I like how the color of the grasshopper blends in nicely with his feathers.

Love the pose and the lunch.

tack sharp but it looks like a bit of perhaps over sharp given the slight halo effect. Agree with the tint or is that a late afternoon sun?

Good capture of a skittish bird.

Outstanding image with crop matching the pose, superb detail, color, and light.

Thanks friends ! I agree about the green tint.
The sky in this part of the world is blue only for two to three months in a year.

Jagdeep: nicely done in all respects. You’ve got he three elements of an excellent picture, which are light, subject and composition. A small nit in that the kestrel has a bit of a green cast. Richard

A beautiful pose and the grasshopper is a wonderful addition to the image, Jagdeep. I like your framing. To my eye, the image looks a bit dark overall and there seems to be a faint dark halo around the tail.