Let Sleeping Rhinos…

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Very early one morning we came upon a group of rhinos asleep in a depression in the sand, Our guide of many years experience said this was a rare experience for him and a first for me and my wife.
The rhinos remained asleep until the young one awoke and nudged his mother for breakfast, at which point the other rhinos awoke.
As we sat and watched, the rhinos went through what I interpreted a a greeting ritual of leaning into each other.

Specific Feedback

Any and all.

Technical Details

24-105 lens at f/10, 1/40 and Auto ISO 2500.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Hi Richard, interesting behavior here. I’ve never seen an image of rhinos sleeping like this. Nice to see the face of the little one which draws my attention to it. DOF throughout the rhinos looks good as does sharpness.

Definitely a “how cute” view. What a great experience and sighting.

A very interesting capture Richard, the early hour is seen in quite flat lighting but I think that this adds to the overall calmness of the image

Allen, Mark and Ryan: thanks for having taken the time to look and comment.

Great setting and beautiful frame !
How did you manage to enter their bedroom ??
This image may benefit from subtle vignette.

The detail and depth in this image are really good Richard. They picked a nice spot to bed down. I do love the look of the little one facing the camera. It looks like it is ready for a snack the minute mom gets up to go.

Ed and J Rajput: thank you for your comments and J, thank you for the EP.