Lichens as Snow

This time of year, if you squint, the lichens almost look like snow, especially when they’re backlit.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique/comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a73r, 202mm, f/11, 1/13s, ISO 200.

Such beautiful light and color here Bonnie, it makes this image a winner for sure. Without your image description, I would have sworn this was snow or ice and not backlit lichen. I think the “snow deception” is enhanced by the cool tones of the shadowed evergreens in the background (though it looks like there may be some snow there ?). The processing gives this a very crisp and clean look, which I love. It’s a bold image, and it’s primary appeal to me is the strong light , it really makes the image sing.

I’m not sure what you were after in this one Bonnie. The composition feels awkward with the trunks all on one side and the brown leaves in the opposite corner. I’ve learned not to judge your images too quickly so I probably should give this more time. Actually, it’s the side light streaking across the image that appears to be the main ingredient. This one may take time to grow.

I find myself really wanting to explore the tree trunks and snowy branches but I can’t help but be drawn to the beautifully highlighted brown leaves and my attention just stays there. I explored a crop eliminating the brown leaves and like it much better, but that may not mesh with your vision for this one.

Thanks for your thoughts, @Ed_McGuirk, @Harley_Goldman, and @Igor_Doncov. It is an odd composition. I figured the brown leaves UL would balance the trunks at least a bit. I think it might work better if the LRC wasn’t so dark. I brought it up, but it still feels odd (and the color is a weird shade of blue).

Bonnie, I’m in the other camp, I like having the brown leaves in the UL, I think it helps balance the image. If there was only a wall of white lichen in the left half of the image, I would find it less interesting. The mossy tree is clearly primary, but I like having the secondary color of the brown leaves, for me its additive, and not a distraction. And given the high contrast light in the scene, I think the dark area in the LRC works too, if anything it accentuates the mossy tree, and makes it stand out more. I like the image as originally presented.

1 Like