Liken To Lichen + Repost

Repost with suggested edits and a less obtrusive watermark

Cedars in Yosemite Valley, with Wolf Lichen (Latheria vulpina). The stark color contrast between the lichen and the bark is what caught my attention. Lichen is an interesting organism because it is not considered a plant. It is actually two different organisms symbiotically working together - it’s a fungus providing the root and stem structure and algae which photosynthesizes to produce glucose as food for both.

Specific Feedback Requested

I want this photograph to work. but something is not working for me. I am not sure what is missing.
Is the light too flat?
Is there not enough separation between the three trees there, especially between the two on the left?
Are the shadowed trees in the BG too dark?
Would it work as a vertical panoramic?

Technical Details

Shen-Hao 4x5, Nikon 300 mm f/9 lens, f32 15 sec on Fuji Provia 100F. Scanned and processed in PSCS6

2 Likes

It works for me!! I don’t feel the light is too flat, just wonderfully soft. The colors are gorgeous! My only thought is possibly to darken the greens on the lower left just a bit.

I’m struggling to get past your watermark but can understand why you want it.

Wow, those lichens are very cool. I like the framing of the red cedar by the smaller trees with more lichen. As far as what’s not working, I’d vote for the too-dark background trees, especially the one between the rightmost lichen tree and the red cedar. I gave it a try to bring out more detail there, which worked to some degree; you could get a lot more from the raw file. There’s some twigs in there that would break up the darkness. Here’s my try:

I, too, find your watermark pretty distracting. Personally, I feel posting here without large watermarks (or any at all, for that matter) is safe.

Nice photo. I can see this hanging in an office as a poster. Maybe with a caption below. I agree with the previous comments. Darkening the BG trees brings focus the lichen covered trees.

Keep them coming.

I like this and trees really pop out nicely in the repost and I’m really enjoying the warm colours here.

Hi Youssef. This is a very nice shot. The lichen color and its contrast make for an interesting subject. I like the light and the colors.

Nice job on the repost. This image really caught my eye. The yellow lichen look like decorations on the trees.,