Light and Shadow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On days that I’m not working I like to patrol the garden in the morning just to see what if anything is happening. I always have my I Phone with me and if I spot anything promising I’ll go back and get the “real” camera. I’m glad I took this with the phone because by the time I came back with the main rig the moment had passed. I wish there had been two silhouettes so I could have titled it in honor of the old fifties song from The Rays. Oh well, enough nostalgia from an old guy. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure why the silhouette is a little soft since it was projected on the leaf surface and that’s sharp. Perhaps the distance from the BG leaf to the subject?

Technical Details

I Phone 13 Pro Max
ISO 250, 1/60 @ f2.8 RAW

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Beautiful work, Bill. I suspect the shadow is soft partially because all shadows get a little diffraction around the edges that soften them. Also if this was projected on the back side of the leaf (hard to tell) the leaf itself would soften it. It doesn’t really matter as it’s a gorgeous image.

What a gorgeous color. I’d agree that the bottom part of the shadow is soft because of the distance of the back leaf from the front. What about cropping up from the bottom to about where the sharp shadow starts?

Wonderful find and capture!! Gorgeous light! I don’t mind the softness in the shadow – it just emphasizes the sharper part. I love the brighter area on the vein.

Bill, awesome image with beautiful light and lines! Looks great as an iphone shot. I would not have known if that info was not disclosed. The light and shadows are the real stars in the photo. I don’t mind the softness either. You could try a square crop up from the bottom but the composition is already strong.