Breakfast of Champions

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I like to take a tour of the garden in the early mornings just to see what’s going on. I take my phone with me just in case I spot something interesting. If it looks like the subject will stay put and is worthy of the effort, I’ll go back in and break out the “real” gear. Spotted this skipper flitting around the Rose of Sharon so I grabbed a few shots before it wandered off to other pastures. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback

The I Phone has a pretty competent imaging system. It does let me shoot RAW which makes processing better.

Technical Details

I Phone 13 Pro Max
ISO 32, 231mm equivalent, 1/1167 sec @ f2.8

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

These little butterflies amaze me with their resilience - you’d think something to tiny and delicate would just wither, but no…they keep on. I like how small it appears in these flowers and that it just is going about its life without regard to your presence. A cell phone can do a lot for a person who knows how to handle it and you obviously do. The shapes of the petals and shadow are similar to that of the wings - nice touch.

Nice job getting this shot, Bill. I do see a lot of posterization in the larger image with little detail in some areas, yet the antennae and tongue are pretty crisp.

Posterization is present and just call it some abstraction. Comp is pretty good and the colors are ideal…Jim

Bill, this looks great. The overall pink/magenta color is quite striking and set off well by the two white centers and the skipper. I like how the shadow approaches, but doesn’t touch the left edge. Yes, there’s a distinct loss of detail, Is that the phone (built in processing or pixel size) or is this a crop?

Bill, I think you did well with an iPhone to get this. Had you took the time to go and get the “big camera” the opportunity would probably be gone. Sure, it isn’t a wall hanger because an iPhone camera can’t compete with your Sony, but it still a pleasing picture here.