Skipper's Hungry

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I followed this Skipper around from flower to flower. I must have taken 50 shots but I could not get a good face shot till this one. It’s almost like he is sticking his tongue out at me for bothering him.

Technical Details

Canon 5DSR, MACRO 100mm, ISO 3200

Skippers are fun subjects, and I am looking forward to spring and summer and their return to the flower garden. The eyes look like they are nice and sharp (because you posted it rather large at 3901 on the longest side) it doesn’t look as well as I think it would at the recommended 2000 on the longest side. Still I can see the eyes well. I think if it were mine, I might try to pull down the brightness a little. It appears that it was taken in harsh light. If so, maybe next time in a situation like this you can position yourself between the subject and the sun to shadow him. Just a thought. I like the way he fits right in the circle yellow stemans.

John: Skippers are tough. Ours hardly ever sit still. You got the eyes nicely here. The reds and yellows are pretty blown but simply decreasing the exposure helps. I also put a slight vignette to darken the corners and then did a little sharpening. Also downsized it a bit. I think when you post a large image the site automatically downsizes it and you lose detail and control. >=))>

John, I like what @Bill_Fach did. To me it really improved the image and it is all about the Skipper now.

Thanks Bill, I used Topez AI and PS , I’m learning both. I also like what you have done, I too like a vignette. I wanted to highlight the Skipper and you have helped do that.

Thanks Shirley I agree. Those Skippers are hard catch sitting still but fun to shoot.

1 Like