Light on the point

Drone shot of a point in the lake. It was a very cool summer morning which led to some lake mist which seems to usually be more common towards the fall. Mist broke up enough for the sunlight to catch the top of these trees.

Specific Feedback Requested

I have not seen much drone work on the site. So curious as any suggestions that people have. I primarily shoot with my DSLR but have found I really enjoy the drone. I do tend to shoot in auto with the drone. Have done a bit of experimenting with pro mode.

Technical Details

DJI mini 2. F2.8 1/80sec ISO 100. Edit in Lightroom. I cloned out some pontoon boats on the right.

Cameron this is an awesome aerial shot. The mist above the trees really sets things off nicely. I think the comp is perfect.

I have a drone too and love to take it out for photography. Not too much into video yet, maybe someday. But my biggest hurdle here in the Pacific Northwest is that so many places I would love to photograph from a drone are restricted. I understand the desire to protect wildlife and such, but it’s gotten to an extreme. The places I want to fly and shoot are restricted. The places that are not restricted have nothing of interest to photograph.

I’m FAA certified and will not violate the rules…I’ve seriously considered selling the drone…

Anyway, terrific image and I hope you find more places to fly.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Wonderful image Cameron. I like the reflections of the sky with the trees in the water and all the different layers that lead up to the sky. I would try cropping about 1/2 to 2/3 of the sky since there isn’t much detail there. Love those yellow trees.

1 Like

A very nice perspective. I like the transition from the cool water colors to the yellow(ish) mist.

1 Like

A wonderful image, Cameron! Good composition, great reflections of the sky in the lake, and nice contrast/transition between cooler and warmer colors. I agree with Andre that you could try to crop part of the sky.

1 Like

Cameron,

I really love the viewpoint and perspective here. And as Andre pointed out, the reflected clouds and water are wonderful. The mist and the sun highlights are also very nice elements complementing and completing the scene.

I would agree with cropping some - or all of the sky. For it falls in to the old axiom, “if something is not adding to the image, then it’s taking away.” The fog/mist certainly is adding to the scene, but once it rises above the tree line I think it’s becoming more of a distraction. I think with some burning and work to accentuate the highlights - without the sky, could make this just as impactful. The story after all is all about the reflection and the unique layout of the trees protruding in to that reflection.

Very cool image. Here’s a look without the sky. It may or may not work with your vision. I just cropped and than dodged/painted some areas of the mist and tree tops.

3 Likes

I really like this shot! I think it may be trying to do too much though. The sky is so “hot” it distracts. Perhaps flying a little closer & lower you could have cropped out all the sky, leaving the sky to be inferred by these beautiful cloud reflections in the water. Just an idea, but that strong horizon line & sky keep pulling my eye away from the intense stillness & beauty of the foreground - where the strength of the composition lies. What do you think?

1 Like

Thanks Dean!

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the feedback. I’ll post the original. My drone only takes shots in 4x3 landscape so I cropped it into the portrait format. I like Lon’s edit which does do what you suggested.

1 Like

Thanks Ola! I also agree with Andre.

Thanks Lon! I appreciate the feedback. I like your edit. I think I like having just a thin slice of sky at the top, but definitely much less than I have now.

1 Like

Thank you Andre! I agree and so does everyone else who’s commented. This forum is definitely making me think more about how I am cropping.

1 Like

Thanks David. Those limits do sound frustrating. I’m in Upper Michigan and there are very few limitations here. My drone is 249gm so it is under the FAA limit, but it also has a pretty limitless range. I rarely get beyond 1000 meters away.