Light play

I had planned to photograph this lake. I did not realize (until we got there) that there was construction and some roads were closed so I had to photograph it from the road. I loved the play of light with its light and shadows as the sun slowly went down.

Specific Feedback Requested

I took many different shots at this spot. I wanted the “grand landscape” so I could capture everything. I like the sand/dirt below closer to the frame at the bottom so I purposely included it in the shot but now I am unsure if I should crop it.
I appreciate any other feedback that can make the image better

Technical Details

Nikon Camera d810
Tamron 24-70
1/60 sec at F11
ISO 800

2 Likes

Hi Martha! I think you achieved a grand landscape. The photo has so many beautiful layers. I like the foreground. I think it gives you an entry point into the composition. I think without it that the photo would just ‘fall off’ at the bottom.

1 Like

Thank you @Cameron_Wilcox for the feedback. Yes, I was thinking that if I removed it then it would just be blah but did not know if it was too distracting. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback

1 Like

You were there at such a beautiful time with the snow on the mountains. Too bad there was not any reflection in the water, as that would have further enhanced the image and provided some interest within the grey water. The foreground on the bottom right has enough interest in it to help balance, and it seems like a crop into the grey water wouldn’t balance the image right. I wonder if you shot another one with more sky without the foreground. The sky is beautiful and very dynamic.

Thank you @HarveyAbernathey, Yes, the time was perfect. I think the lake was already starting to freeze which is why there are no reflections. I’ll have to look at the other images and see if I have some with more sky. Thank you for the feedback!

Beautiful image. Where is this lake located? Robert Engle

Martha, that is a grand scenic if there ever was one. Just spectacular. I think the composition is well done. The fall colors give me a sense of Fall Color in the Colorado Rockies–an old home for me.

Hi Robert this is in the Telluride area in Colorado and thank you!

Colorado Rockies it is! It was a beautiful chilly day. You got to love Colorado in Autumn!
And Thank you, David

1 Like

Gorgeous scene. I like the layers of the scenery, from the sandy foreground to the distant mountains. The one thing that catches my eye is that horizontal line of bright sand at the middle bottom. It’s so near the edge of the frame, but not quite touching, that it adds a bit of tension to what is otherwise a lovely calm scene. Perhaps a very small crop off the bottom? -

Good idea! Thank you @Bonnie_Lampley

1 Like

Hi Martha,

Great to see you again, haha! This is a pretty nice scene, but the white balance can be cooled down quite a bit and you can add a touch of green to the tint. Also, I would do a slight warp to bring down the sandy beach all the way to the bottom edge, there is a small gap there that distracts me. My first instinct was to crop this somehow but I couldn’t settle on anything I liked more than how it is. I guess it just feels like it’s lacking a strong subject. It kind of feels like everything in the scene is equally accentuated. I am not sure what you can do about that with this particular exposure though.

I hope this helps!

Your friend,
Erfci