Mountain Magic

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image is from a short one day photo trips I went on a few weeks ago. I had scouted this location a couple years back and always wanted to go back to shoot at sunrise. I also didn’t want to shoot here in the middle of the summer because I didn’t want all of the trees and grasses to be “just” green. Maybe I should have waited another week or tow so that the leaves on the various bushes had more autumnal colours but c’est la vie.

Specific Feedback

Any tips for improvement, or other comments and suggestions are most welcome!

Technical Details

Camera and Lens: Canon 5Dmk4, Canon 24mm TS-E lens - used some tilt for maximum DOF and some fall to keep the trees vertical.

Exposure: 1/6 sec at f/11, ISO 100.

3 Likes

That lichen covered rock adds a lot. You would think that a step to the left would move the mountain to the left and balance it against the rock. But it might be your last step. Been in that situation many times.

Wow! Gorgeous light – so intense without feeling over-saturated. And the light on the FG rock is wonderful! Perfect DOF!! Only suggestion: frame and hang. In a high-end gallery.

1 Like

Fantastic. The oranges in the lichen, flowers and sunset light are nicely balanced by the blues in the sky and lake. The repeating triangular shapes are a nice element as well.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov , @Diane_Miller and @DeanRoyer for taking the time to comment!
Igor - I totally understand what you’re saying. Unfortunately, though it doesn’t really look like it, I was as close to the waters edge with my tripod legs as I could be. The one leg was an inch or two from the edge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a lovely scene! The grasses look autumnal to me. It would be nice to have the willows(?) be more fall-like, but they look to be turning, also. There’s definitely a sense of fall in this.

What strikes me is the luminosity and saturation of that foreground rock. Looking at the light on the grasses around it, it feels too bright. That little tree stump at the water’s edge on frame left also catches my eye. I thought perhaps darkening/desaturating the rock along with bringing up the exposure of the grasses (both just a bit) would make for a more natural look. I also cropped off the left and top (to maintain your aspect ratio) a tad to get rid of that stump at frame left . Here’s my idea.

1 Like

Tom, it’s a beautiful scene, where your careful planning paid off well. The first light on the peak and in it’s reflection are lovely. The subtle fall colors in the vegetation add well to a warm inviting feeling. I’m also enjoying the scattered bits of forbs near the bottom that mimic the colors of the sunlight.

1 Like

Tom, this is a lovely scene. I like the point - counterpoint relationship to the light on the peak and the orange tones to the rock in the lower right hand corner. That said, I feel like the image would benefit from having a touch more room to the right of and below the rock to give it some space to breathe in the composition.

1 Like

Igor and I had the same thought on this one. That lichen covered rock is a real treat and I like the diagonal created between it and the mountain. Agreed that moving left (if possible) might have given the reflection of the mountain a bit more breathing room between the lakeshore and reflection. Also concur with you that waiting until there was some color variety in the grasses and trees was a wise decision.

1 Like

Wow, Tom. I love this as is. Good of you to wait until you had a least a little bit of Fall color in the air. You don’t have the monotony of all green. You can clearly sense that summer is turning to Fall. What another week would have brought?? The lichen covered rock plays so nicely in balancing the mountain backdrop. I can see exactly what @Igor_Doncov is talking about with just a slight move to the left to better balance the foreground rock and the background mountain but you still maintain good balance as shot. I always love a little bit of alpenglow as well. Nicely done. If it’s not too far from home you may want to schedule this one next year for a week or 10 days later. Wow!!