Lily Lake Summer Morning

What technical feedback would you like if any? Processing notes?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Composition?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sony a6500, Zeiss 16-70 zoom at 16mm, ISO 100, 1.0 sec at f/14

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I often make it up to Lily Lake for dawn as it’s a ten minute drive from my house. I got this on a cloudy morning last week.

Your comments and suggestions on any aspect are welcome.

Thanks.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Fabulous composition and light! How much to darken the sky is always a subjective thing, and there have been interesting threads on this site about the subject. I generally feel that the sky should always be lighter than any reflected water, as it is naturally. For me, it doesn’t look “right” if the sky is as dark or darker than the water so I took the liberty of lightening the sky to see how it looks. I prefer the lighter sky. Again, this is totally a subjective call and there is no wrong or right. One more little nit, the interface between the sky and the dark mountain on the right has a halo that would look better corrected. Those points aside, all and all a great photo. I especially appreciate how sharp the foreground flowers are. Did you focus stack?

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts, Tony. I struggled with the sky, and I have to say I like your slightly lighter version. I did not focus stack.

Beautiful shot Matt and well done getting everything in focus and controlling the high dynamic range of this shot. I would agree with Tony that the reflection should normally be at least slightly darker than the sky but that is very subjective. As is, it’s a wonderful shot.

1 Like

Matt,

This is quite beautiful. Great job with the composition; just now thought of this - but too bad the “notch” in the vegetation didn’t line up with the sunrise gap. Wishful thinking I guess.

Tony’s edit is very subtle, but very effective.

A beautiful moment, captured and presented beautifully as well.

Lon

1 Like

Very nice shot Matt. Love the composition. Great job keeping everything under control. I agree the slight adjustment by Tony does seem to work great.

1 Like

Looks beautiful. I also like Tony’s edit. A most enjoyable scene.

This is a really beautiful, peaceful scene Matt. I like your composition especially with the foreground flowers and lead in of the lake. The sky and its reflect is stunning. I like Tony’s input to lighten the sky a little bit.