Little Colorado River I + Repost

In May, I spent 6 days rafting through the Grand Canyon on a photo workshop with Gary Hart Photography. It was one of the best trips I’ve ever done. This is the Little Colorado River just upstream from its confluence with the Colorado, and the color of the water is truly amazing. We spent an afternoon here, and a little more time the following morning. This is from early in the afternoon, in full sun. It got much better after the sun dipped behind the canyon wall.

5D2, 24-105 @ 24
Handheld, f/11, 1/160s, ISO100
TK curves adjustments, crop off the right side

Here’s a rework with the suggestions to darken the foreground rock.

1 Like

Nice image.
I would suggest darkening the foreground rock i think it takes the eyes away from the beautiful water color

I agree with Aref - maybe balance the tone of the ground with the ceiling…to emphasize the frame you were going for.

Looks like a really special area. I look forward to more of your images from this trip that include the rivers. I’ve never been there. The American west is so special and varied.

I am surprised by how much I enjoy this composition. I am sure the color of the water is part of that and I agree with the suggestion above to darken the foreground rock.

That’s a unique perspective. The framing works great and the light is well-managed. The blending of the side rock with the bottom rock is the only think I see here that could maybe be improved. Just some simple burning of this rock would provide a better visual cue that it’s not part of the bottom rock.

Thank you @Aref, @Kris_Smith, @Adhika_Lie and @Tony_Kuyper!

I posted a reworked image up top with the darkened foreground rock, and tried to darken the left side rock just a bit more as Tony recommended.

I’m late coming in here, but I like the direction the rework has taken the image. The darkening of the foreground places the emphasis on the river, where it belongs. This is an unique perspective, and a very creative use of framing , nice job seeing this Craig. Are you standing inside an arch or something?

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk. It’s just a long overhang on the wall. That’s me on the left, and the photo was probably taken somewhere up on the wall directly behind me or that overhang below me.

1 Like

Thanks for the behind the scenes view Craig. Kudos to you for seeing the potential of that formation on the left as a framing element, it’s not a very obvious frame, but one that worked really well.

1 Like

@Craig_Moreau another thing i would consider is probably a bit more contrast in the river
There are some dark patches there and a beautiful color to the water which could be enhanced with some local contrast
It already looks beautiful as is