Little Colorado River III - 2 Options

Option 1:

Option 2:

After the sun disappeared behind the canyon wall, the color of the water shifted more blue, and I found this to be even more beautiful. I found the shapes in this small island very interesting, and tried to make a few images. I can’t decide which of these compositions I prefer. I like elements of each, but overall I’m just not sure.

Option 1
5D2, 24-105 @ 32
f/11, 1/5s, ISO100

Option 2
5D2, 24-105 @ 105
f/11, 1/8s, ISO100

Craig
definiely vote #2. Better isolation and like the layered BG. Island is focal point for my eye.
Nice image and love the water color!

I like both images. The first brings in the canyon environment more and offers a foreground that balances with the grasses in the back, but the second is a nicer shot of the detail of the island and greenery. I would like to see more real estate on the left of both images, so the island does not get cut off. I agree that the blue water is an amazing color.

When I saw your earlier posts taken in full sun, I thought this area would yield some nice shots in shade after the sun had gone beneath the rim, and does it ever. The soft light really brings out the richness of the colors, and the textures in the grass.

Both images images work fine, but my personal preference is for image #1. I like image #1’s sense of depth, and I think the blue color of the water stands out better when it it is bracketed above and below by the warm of the grasses. I also like #1 for its use of diagonal lines.

Thanks for sharing the images in this series Craig, I’m enjoying seeing shots from a location we don’t get to see very often. It must have been a heck of a trip.

Thanks for your input @Mario_Cornacchione, @Larry_Greenbaum and @Ed_McGuirk.
Mario, I also really prefer the layered background of option 2, but I’m starting to think the grasses below are needed as a base for the image.
Larry, I see what you mean about the island being cut off on the left , but it extended far beyond the frame here.
Ed, it was a really great trip. I’m starting to lean toward #1 as well because of the lower grasses. I probably should have done a zoomed-in version that included some grass on the bottom. Oh well, guess I’ll have to go back!