Locked in Battle

This image was from my same Utah trip and the three previous image posts but this shot was taken 30 miles west near Capital Reef National Park. This wall received reflected light from the opposite canyon wall and was in shade for most of the day making it easy to capture images. This section of the wall has a 3D feel to it since there are so many hollow sections along with protruding sections which to me made this area come alive. Alive with a couple of skeletons locked in battle. You may see something entirely different.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback please. Does the square crop work? I have lots of room with more characters on both sides of this image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon Z7
ISO80
1/30 hand held
F/8
60mm
24-70mm Z lens

2 Likes

Very cool image. Excellent detail and I love the square crop. The diagonals in the “background” help create a bit more energy for this shot. Really enjoyable to study. Great job picking up this scene. Must’ve been a good time exploring this wall!

1 Like

Sounds like a wall with infinite possibilities. Your composition works very nicely with nothing really centered in the frame. I actually prefer this square format, I think. It’s nicely balanced and has some diagonals that keep things dynamic.

1 Like

Your recent work has taken a major jump in quality. This is the latest example. This is just well seen and beautifully rendered. I must’ve seen this or other similar structures and just didn’t see the potential. Very natural looking without exaggeration to make up for weaknesses. You let the forms speak for themselves.

1 Like

This certainly works for me David including the square format. Wonderful textures and 3D abstract qualities.

1 Like

Very cool! Not sure I see a battle scene, but no matter. It’s a great abstract, especially the 3-D effect and the “melting” bits.

1 Like

I’m very sorry for the late reply on this one but thanks very much to @Jim_McGovern , @Eva_McDermott , @Bonnie_Lampley , @Tony_Kuyper , and @Igor_Doncov .
Igor, it means a lot to me to hear say that my recent work has taken a jump in quality. I am starting to focus more on Intimate scenes, abstracts and minimalistic compositions rather than the grand landscape type of scene that I used to shoot. These new types of scenes just have more meaning to me than the grand landscapes.
Bonnie, I wasn’t sure that anyone else would actually see the two skeletons fighting but the 2 long dark streaks in the LRC running vertically are the legs of 2 skeletons (each only has one leg) and the 2 heads are looking at each other in the dark horizontal ribbon going across the scene with the skeleton on the left holding a long bone in his hand. It might be a stretch but it’s what I see. With this type of image, you can likely see something that I don’t see. Glad you all enjoyed this one and thanks again for your feedback.

This is literally dripping with color, kind of reminds of molten wax from a candle. I saw formations similar to this at Valley of Fire NV, they can make for some interesting abstract images. The composition is very well handled here David, I especially like how you incorporated the diagonal lines in the LRC, they add some extra life to the image. The colors look awesome, very nicely done David. There are lots of neat things to appreciate here.

1 Like

This is great! I love how the red portions look they are dripping like melted candle wax. I think the square crop works well also.

1 Like

It took me a large amount of time just to explore everything in this image…and I feel good and didn’t feel any need to go someplace else.

2 Likes

@Ed_McGuirk , @BrandonPHX , @joaoquintela
Thank you for you comments and suggestions. Ed, I know exactly what you mean about the Valley Of Fire, NV. On my way home from this Utah trip I stopped in there and went to the Pink Canyon and a couple of caves with some of these neat faces on the walls.
I’m not sure anyone saw my fighting skeletons but it seems dripping wax was seen by more than a few. That’s kind of what makes these abstracts so neat. Everyone sees something different. Joao, glad this didn’t lead off the edge of the frame and that there is enough to captivate for a minute or two.

1 Like