The Wall

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Sometimes I feel like Bill Murray in “Ground Hog Day,” photographing the same subjects over and over… Yet I keep doing it. Maybe there are just so many opportunities, and maybe I’ll just keep looking for them… But here we are, the same wall as in my previous image, just few yards to the right.

Actually a good reason I spent time photographing this wall, again, was this time I had rented the Nikon Z7ii and 24-200mm lens and so one of my objectives of the trip was to make some images for comparison. As it turned out for this particular scene, there was nary a difference in the RAW files between the 2 setups. I did a bit of testing before and during the trip and for sure, the 28-300mm kit lens is pretty poor on the corners, a good bit of distortion at 28mm and overall the quality of the Z mount 24-200 is superior to the 28-300 on the dslr. Having said that, cropping and 3-image focus stacking on all these, and there ain’t much difference between the resulting files and finished images.

Anyway, I’ve always loved the radiating feature of this wall and can only imagine what little creature or birds might make that hole their home (although I’ve seen no evidence.) And for these compositions, I also liked the zig-zagging terraces. This is a broader view, but the structure, details and color variations of this wall are just amazing for much tighter views. I’m fascinated with the geology too; only wish I could learn more. I guess I’ll never tire of this place.

Specific Feedback

As I mentioned, there isn’t any noticable difference between the RAW files. But they are each different frames/exposures and all of them are 3-image focus stacks at different apertures and so the starting point for each image was a bit different for sure.

I’m mostly curious about feedback on colors and processing. I spent WAY too much time comparing side by side trying to make each image as close as I could to the other. But given the starting RAW DNG files (from Helicon) were all slightly different, each image was uniquely processed. And to add complexity… my problem is I can hardly recall what the actual, real colors are of this wall. I’m quite certain the colors are flatter and more muted than what I’ve presented here. And so I did go thru numerous iterations of saturation/hue, luminosity, etc., etc. Then after a while - and we all get to the point where any more changes are pointless cause I can’t see them anyway, so it was time to stop.

Edit - guess I’m not sure why I needed to post the 3 versions. They’re so very close in processing; some subtle differences in WB, hue, contrast, etc.

If the colors and processing are too close for comparison, then maybe I’ll settle for your choice in compositions…

Thanks for any and all comments and suggestions!

Technical Details

Image #1. Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @34mm f/16 .8s iso 100. 3-image focus stack, fairly good crop

Image #2. Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @36mm f/11 1/5s iso 100. 3-image focus stack, 25% cropping

Image #3. Nikon Z7ii, 24-200mm @50mm, f11 .6s iso64. 3-image focus stack, minimal cropping

2 Likes

Hi Lon! I can see why you like this wall so much. The colors and graphic nature of it are made for photographing. It was hard to pick a favorite as I like all 3. The colors and detail you captured are excellent on all 3. However, my favorite is #1 because it is more focused on the area around the hole and shows more of the colors radiating from the hole.

I’m a little surprised you don’t see a significant difference between the setups. Perhaps if you took a series at higher ISO to compare how noise is handled. Probably too late as I assume you returned the rented gear.

I really don’t know (or care) how close these colors come to reality. And the difference between cameras is small. The 3 compositions to me tell 3 different stories. I see this image as being about Enlightenment. I see this as a shrine with steps leading to the place of being enlightened. From that point of view image #2 conveys the message the best. I think this is a great image and better than the one with the plant in front. Although you have shot this area many times over the years they all look different somehow. This one looks different from the rest.

In terms of image quality, image 1 looks perkier than the other 2 images.

Hi Lon,
that is once again a great shot from this wall. There are so many textures and colors to explore. I can very well understand why you can’t stop photographing it.

I like all three variations. But my favorite is clearly #1. I really like the colors here. The warm tones seem to pop a bit more. And because there are more blue tones in the upper half of the image, it creates a nice balance to the warm colors. In addition, the ulc and urc offer such beautiful textures that are not present in the portrait crops.
Lastly, in #1 the zigzag lines are very emphasized which leads my eye very nicely upwards.

I can only suggest printing it out large and hanging it on the wall.

Lon
I also like #1. I think the extra horizontal room in the crop gives the picture more room to breathe and frames the central pattern better. Also the fact that you can see the grass on the terraces takes the shot from being almost an abstract to a more literal image, and I think that works well.

I’m curious why you used a 3 image focus stack. The depth of the image doesn’t look that deep and you were using a fairly small aperture. Is it a deeper image than it looks?

-Will

Lon, This looks like the same site as was the image you recently posted with the flower in the bottom.
I could not get enough of it either. I favor #1 and #3. #2 is a bit too crowded. The wall is mesmerizing. The lines, textures, striations, and colors dazzle. Also, the sprigs of grass add as well.
Thanks for sharing your explanation about the lens testing too.

These are amazing, Lon! I would not have guessed they were focus stacked. It looks so much like a painting to me I thought it was an ICM at first! I can see why you keep photographing it. I love the 2nd one the best. I really like that bit of green in the rock. And the browns and golds are beautiful too. I feel like the colors are a tad more vibrant and I love the what looks like an explosion in the center top part. Great capture!

What an interesting subject with the range of colors and textures. #1 feels more expansive than #2 or #3, probably due to the horizontal aspect ratio. I like all three, and picking among them comes down to what you want the viewer to feel.

Hi Lon - Image #2 is my favorite.T The colors, especially the blues are a little more vibrant. The colors and graphic patterns are fabulous. All three are wonderful images.

It’s no wonder you keep returning to this wall - it’s quite striking. I can’t tell much difference between color/hue in each version, although #2 feels a bit more vivid. Compositionally, #2 does it for me because that lowermost ledge isn’t cut off. In #1 and #3, the way the ledge merges/touches the lower left bottom of the frame feels odd to me. Hope you go back yet again!

Hi Lon, I think that these images look really great and I like them a lot! the composition and the placement of the various rock features in the frame is fantastic. Unfortunately, I’m hesitant to comment on the colours and processing because I’m not looking at the on a good monitor so I’m afraid it wouldn’t be very helpful.

Lon,

I like the first horizontal image. It has the most visual impact. As far as comparisons I can’t tell anything about resolution, and I can only see the Z7ii has a slight bit more blue than the D800E. Sorry, I can’t be of more help in comparing and it seems like you spent an inordinate amount of time processing these. Are you considering moving over to the Z system? The sensor in the Z7ii is the same as in the D850, and at BH Photo, the D850 is about $100 less than the Z7ii, same sensor but an updated image processor.

Lon, it’s easy to see why you’re attracted to this “scene”. There a lot of movement and interpretation. While all three views are very attractive, I prefer the 4x5 because I really like the arching visual flow from the bottom left to the yellow “tree trunk”. The variety of colors has this rock wall feeling much more like a forest scene, where you’ve focused on an ancient trunk and its surroundings. #2 is my second choice because I like the extra depth that including the full bottom step or rock provides.

Hi Lon,

What a find! It is super gorgeous! I’m sure you can keep returning there and be blessed with more happy finds. I know I would!

To my eye:
1 seems a little less sharp at the bottom than 2 and 3

1 and 3 look closest in colour, though 3 is a tad less contrasty

2 is definitely cooler and, to my taste, lacking in contrast

I hope I’m not stating the very obvious here (am only just learning to see these things, including the blind spots that happen when spending too long on an image. Crazy stuff that!) :sweat_smile:

With regards to composition, I enjoy the broader view of 1 so much over the 2 others that there is no contest. The full zigzagging terrace slows down the eye nicely, which is important because the centre element is so powerful that it needs some mitigating. The centre hole (nest?) with the radiating warm line is arresting and the sides are very interesting. I find the patterns, textures and colour transitions particularly enjoyable to look at in the ULC. They remind me of drapery.

All in all, I am struck by the overall balance in this composition. Each element has its “right place” without competing with any of the others. In fact, I’ve never seen a composition with such balance and feel I’ve learned what compositional balance is from looking at your image, and I shall keep this in mind as regards my own work.

Composition-wise, 2 is really nice in the way that @Igor_Doncov pointed out. 3 looks a bit stunted to me, the centre hole being way too dominant (just writing my thoughts as they come here).

When I first started, I tried to match RAWs and JPGs because I found the JPGs more pleasing and sharper (still hoping to match the in-camera algorithm for sharpening which, to me, always looks vastly superior to LR/ACR processing - or is it just me?) The description of your trying to match the images from the different cameras reminded me of my own matching attempts which, I must say, led me down some pretty insane mazes, but probably helped me find my way around RAW processing as well.

Finally, I REALLY like the colours and don’t mind them possibly not being true to life. That is why we make art, to express emotions above and beyond the visible IMHO. How these things find their way from an image into our consciousness is a mysterious alchemy. I don’t know how it works, but I just know it does!

Now is that a long comment? :scream: (your fault, your post inspired me! :laughing:)

1 Like

Lon, thanks for sharing these extraordinary images. While I tought it would be difficult to determine my favorite one at first sight, it soon turned out to be the third image. The rather tight crop makes me curious and wonder what might be outside the frame.

The “black hole” in the center seems to pull all the elements together, while the explosive dynamics of the composition counteracts its forces impressively.

I decided to refuse thinking about technical details in this case in order to concentrate on the artistic aspects. Great work in my opinion.

1 Like