Lone Juniper

Lone Juniper with Mt. Hood on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation in Oregon. There is a little more than a tree here, but for me, this image has always been about the tree.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’m always open to technical feedback and processing suggestions of all kinds.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition work for you? Why or why not?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single image, processed in LR and Nik SilverEfexPro

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Marylynne, the whites here are real eye catchers. The close tonal match between the foreground and the mountain looks terrific. I think your pano crop fit the scene well. The tree shows nicely as well and makes a good visual foil for Mt. Hood. I do think that cropping a bit from the right (removing the ridge bump), to move Mt. Hood further right in the frame would make for more dynamic eye movement between the tree and the mountain. This is nicely dramatic in b&w.

Hi Marylynne,
I almost overlooked this one because it was smaller. I like the panoramic crop, though I agree that you might take some off the right. I like the B and W treatment and there is plenty of detail in the snow. I’m not sure that this image is about the tree for me, but the tree adds a lot, maybe makes this image special. Gorgeous!

Thanks, folks. I really appreciate the suggestion on the crop. I have not rethought that since I first processed the frame. That’s what I love about this NPN.

I am including here a crop that removes the right side foothill. Let me know if this feels more balanced (or the subject more directed).

ML

I prefer the cropped version. Love the light on the tree. Nice B&W.

Marylynne: I love the scene and I think your crop is a slight improvement. I would be curious to see the color version to see if you would get more separation of the tree from the dark BG. I want to see a bit more detail in its canopy but this is all in all a fine conversion.>=))>

Hi Bill,
Thanks. Here is the color version, and yes, there is more separation (tree greenish and bg foothills dark). It also has a nice warmth that contrasts with the snowy scene. This is a quick crop with more sky (too much) but you can see how dull the sky is.

ALL: Let me know if color is vastly better. I have always been drawn to the b/w version, but both are decent.
ML