Lone

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m just curious for very first impressions… and then what you think when you look at it a bit longer :slight_smile: Thanks!

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

LONE
A lone lioness by a lone tree. We saw her every day, about a mile from her group. She probably had young cubs hidden somewhere, but she did what smart mamas do, and she didn’t give anyone a clue about where they might be :slightly_smiling_face:
Tsavo East National Park, Kenya

1 Like

At first it seems rather stark and as if we have an outcast on our hands, but then it’s clear that this female is probably an important member of her pride and is just getting in a bit of alone time for a rest. They work the hardest so need it most. A really lovely statement and arrangement of the main components. I like that the lion’s fur and the old tree are nearly the same color.

A beautiful frame with unusual composition, which works fine!
If this was mine, I would have a touch more room at the bottom and may selectively increase the exposure & saturation on the lioness.

Thanks, Ingrid, for sharing this captivating image. The dead tree is what caught my attention. The lioness seems almost secondary to the dominating tree. There is a sadness about her posture. I wonder why she is resting in the open and alone. The frame and tight crop suggest her isolation from the pride. Of course, none of that may be the case because I can’t see what is beyond the margins of the picture. A fascinating subject.

Hello Kirsten, this is actually a Mum with newborns, protecting them by hiding them. So she will join her pride again later. Thanks for your comments and appreciation!

Grt, Ingrid.

It’s a bold composition and quite a muted colour pallet. The tree is an impressive shape which holds the frame but I might pan down slightly.
Maybe a touch more contrast …but not sure