Lonely Lily & reposts

I took this photo at the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge two summers ago.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
300mm
1/1000
f/6.3
ISO 100
Crop to 8x11 and adjusted exposure

Hey Vanessa, this fits the theme for sure! In my opinion, you did a great job with the colors. Green can be hard to manage sometimes but this looks good, the white in the flower has a warm inviting color to it also. The use of a smaller aperture helps to decrease some of the clutter at the top and keeps my eye in the center of the frame. I would consider maybe cloning out or cropping in a bit further to remove the piece that is poking up on the extreme left side. It would be pretty extreme, but if you wanted an even more minimalist approach you could crop out the grasses on the right also. I know this is for the “green” weekly challenge, but it may have some merits as a black and white and draw even more attention to the flower in the center.

1 Like

Vanessa, this is a good looking pond scene with the lone flower as the highlight. I see three main attention getters, the flower in the center, the grasses on the right and that lone leaf sticking up near the left center edge. With a centered subject, there is very little eye movement on the part of the viewer. That makes for a very static feeling. If you swung your camera more to the right, (moving the flower up and to the left) you get eye movement angling across the frame from the grasses to the flower. The the viewer then would look around the flower at the upturned leaf edges and the flower’s reflection. That extra eye movement makes the picture more interesting to the viewer.

1 Like

Hi @David_Wallace thanks , so much, for your feedback, I really appreciate it. At your suggestion I did a tighter crop, I went with square and converted to black and white, what do you think?..n

Thanks for explaining to me @Mark_Seaver what makes an interesting image, you make me understand more about not always trying to center everything even if it is the subject! I did a different crop from my original image based on your guidance, what do you think?..