Looking for recommendations

Hello: I am new to this forum. I joined to ask for some advice. My son is 26 years old and loves nature photography. His pictures are awesome (in my biased opinion:)) He is learning on his own, as he doesn’t like to read, other than the occasional web site.

I am looking for suggestions as to the best book, or books, of nature photos I can get him for Christmas. Nothing with much instruction, although some is okay. I want to inspire him, but not discourage him from ever looking at it.

My first thought was Ansel Adams, but that’s not really what he photographs, although he would certainly appreciate the work. He primarily take pictures in the local parks of plants and animals.

Any suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Marc

A book on Ansel Adams may not be of much interest to someone primarily interested in animal photography. If his interest is wildlife photography, some well known wildlife photographers who have good books include Joe McDonald (general wildlife), and Arthur Morris (birds). Art Wolfe is also a great generalist nature photographer.

Thank you. I did mention that I realized Ansel Adams was probably not the best choice. My son does animals, but primarily plants and general nature. I will check out all 3 of your suggestions. They all sound like what I am looking for, especially Art Wolfe.

Hey Marc, welcome to NPN! I have a couple suggestions - based on what you are saying that he is not a “reading books” kinda guy.

1. Get him a membership to NPN. Check.
  2. Rather than a book, website or video - why not sign him up for a 3-day workshop? I don’t know what your budget it is - but nothing gets nature photogs more hooked and engaged, than being in nature. It’s one thing to read or watch a video… it’s an entirely different thing to spend time in nature - with other like-mind folks.

Just a thought - Great question and post!

Lon

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion Lon. I would still like to get him a nice book. I like the workshop idea. How would I find one? I’m in Cleveland, Ohio.

Try getting him into one of the workshops done by Jim McCormac and Deb Di Carlo. I believe that McCormac writes for a Cleveland newspaper. Check his blog here – http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/

Thanks Woody. This is exactly what I’m looking for.