Lost in the water

The small stream where I made this image is the perfect combination of flow, water texture and reflections of fall colors, clouds and the sky. Plus the added benefit of standing in shallow water, even if cold, while photographing. Every turn brings the potential for wonderful images (and I have made thousands there!). This one shows fall color, the sky and bare branches all reflected in moving water.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Sony 6000, 1/320, f9.0, 200mm, ISO3200

4 Likes

Terrific image, John. I love the splash of colors against the blue sky reflection. Nice one indeed.

Beautiful blues with gold highlights! The textures are really nice too.

John, congrats on a fantastic image! I love the gold and blue color combination as well as the swirly patters throughout the frame. This reminds me of a beautiful painting. I love how my eye travels around the image and makes new discoveries. Wonderful work!

I see you photographed this at 200mm. When photographing water abstracts, the depth of field at longer focal lengths can be quite narrow which renders parts of the image a bit soft and out of focus. i see that in the foreground and background of your image. It’s difficult to avoid in the field. If possible, I like to keep the focal length below 150mm with a large aperture like f16 or f18. This will help extend the depth of field a bit more than f9. Just something to keep in mind. Regardless, I very much enjoyed your wonderful image!

3 Likes

Great colors and patterns, John. The abstractness of the photo is quite mesmerizing! What a gorgeous day. Nicely seen and captured.

Killer shot! Love it. I don’t really have a TON to say other than the OOF areas on the top/bottom are a tad distracting to me, but not a deal-breaker. I also think some of the circular lines are a bit “crunchy” or have too much texture, but that’s person choice. I think those are the branches. Anyways, I think this works REALLY well.

John, Love, love, love this. The color combo of blue and gold is classicly beautiful. The diversity and shapes, lines, etc. etc. is amazing. Great combo of elements you have seen and photographed.

For abstracts, yup, there is still yet another technique and that is faster shutter speeds! To catch that motion, “in the act”.

This is all about finding and “seeing”.

Lon

ps. ok, if this was to be a gorgeous acrylic or aluminum print, I’d crop 10% top and left to eliminate the softer ULC area - otherwise, not bothered by it too much.

I don’t really have anything original to say. But just wanted to add my appreciation for a lovely image.