Low Tide on the Oregon Coast

Image Description

Being a calm day and low tide I decided to capture this tranquil scene as an alternative to the so often seen coastal images of harsh weather and crashing waves. There was a slight, fine mist in the air which added to the atmosphere, but again, in a low key way.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Overall I’m pretty satisfied with the image but, as we all know, there’s always room for improvement. I’m counting on you guys for suggestions.

Technical Details

Lumix GX8 with Leica 12-60mm @50mm
1/320th, f14, iso 200

Hi Bill,

It is a nice composition. The lighting is nice even though it is coming from the left still looks flat. Then there is the fine mist, which almost makes the clouds and the base of the sea stacks seem like a heavy noise reduction was applied washing out the detail.

The composition is strong and the lighting is about as good as you can expect. It’s a pretty literal interpretation of what’s there so I don’t think it’s conceptional very strong. It’s not a simple scene but the large rock does create a point of focus. There is some minor haloing at the edge of the sky suggesting that it was worked on separately.

This is a terrific comp, Bill. Living in Portland, I try to get to Cannon Beach often and have tried to photograph the Needles many times. This is one of the best comps I’ve seen.

I think the mist adds a kind of Orton look. I do see the haloing around the Needles, both a wide halo and a tight outline that might be sharpening artifacts. Anyway, those are pretty easy to correct, especially for this worthy image. Well done.

Interesting scene, but I’m distracted by the very sharp outlines of the rocks against the sky. It looks like more than sharpening haloing – it looks like a hard-edged cutout. Did you replace the sky? If it’s a mask, the edge can be softened after the fact.

Did you add some orton or negative dehaze to this? It looks a bit muddy overall and especially in the foreground where it should be more defined and contrasty (even if there was real mist present).