Lyre-tipped Spreadwing up close

On a dark, rainy, cool day, I found this Spreadwing damselfly resting on a wild raspberry cane. Since it was not going to fly far, I went for a close up look by adding 36 mm of extension to my 180 mm macro and worked in close. The lack of wind meant that I could stack 4 shots to get both the eye and the thorax in focus. To minimize camera movement, I used the 2 second timer, but didn’t add in mirror lock up so this may not be at maximum sharpness. The extra extension and the cropped sensor mean that this view is approaching 2X life size.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I believe “up close” is an understatement, Mark! This is a fabulous close look at this damselfly. :+1::+1:

Yikes, pretty scary looking closeup here, Mark. Reminds me of some creature from a matinee movie as a kid…:nerd_face:

Excellent detail and and overall coverage for the drastic magnification…:+1::+1:

1 Like

Extraordinary detail, Mark - I have rarely if ever seen such a powerful presence of an insect in a macro shot. A thoroughly deserved EP !!!

Hi Mark,

Very cool image. No nits and I like it a lot. Just enough DOF to keep the interesting things nice and sharp. Well done…Jim