Magnetic Filter Systems

I need to replace my CPL and have been considering moving to a magnetic system. I have been looking at K&F, Freewell and Kase. I would appreciate any input on whether you have moved to a magnetic system, which system you chose or if you decided continue with screw in filters.

I use my CPL frequently and my 6 stop ND filter less so. I have three sizes of lenses (77, 72, & 67) and have relied upon step up rings .

TIA

1 Like

Hi Pat. I’ve had very good results with the H&Y magnetic filter system. I replaced some Singh-Ray products with these and have been very happy. I use the magnetic frames on my Breakthrough GNDs and then have a drop in CPL to go behind the GND. It’s been a good system so far. Great quality of construction for all the products I’m using and great IQ.
John

I recently switched to magnetic filters and I have to say I LOVE them. It’s so much easier to use them than the screw on type, so I’m more prone to use them (especially the CPL). I have Kase filters, and they don’t seem to impart odd color casts. The one drawback to the Kase system is that they can be “rubbed off” if you’re bushwhacking. I’ve almost lost my lens cap several times now because it got caught on a bush as I went by. Maybe this is the case for all types, I don’t know. I guess I need a tether for my lens cap. I certainly wouldn’t go back to screw-on type filters.

1 Like

I switched from the Lee filter system about 6 months ago to the Kase magnetic filter system and would never ever consider switching back. I got the kit that has a 3, 6,and 10 stop ND filter as well as the CPL. The step up rings are cheap enough to buy one for each of your lenses and just keep them on all the time. They are very inconspicuous. They snap on with authority and I’ve never had one come off. The CPL makes a grating sound if there is even a hint of dirt on the step up ring or your filter threads but it turns easily. There is no lever or tab on the edge of the CPL to make turning it easier but it works just fine. I have not experienced any vignetting or color casts with any of the filters and I use them regularly. The Kase system is expensive but worth every penny.

I agree about the fit of the KASE system. WARNING - I just purchased the 77mm Revolution Entry Kit and the fit of the lens cap into the filters and filter adapter are extremely poor. It appears that the cap is slightly to large to fit into the recess of the filter/adapter to engage the magnets. I’ve tried to get local support but 2Filter, their alleged local owner and sales rep wouldn’t get involved since I purchased it from B&H. I was able to email the manufacturer but too much is getting lost in translation since they appear to be located in Asia. I’ll be returning to B&H for a credit. The KASE 72mm Revolution Kit has a much better but not perfect.

I went with Freewell instead because their variable neutral density filters are pretty revolutionary and so important for video. Plus I love the ND32 filter they include in the original kit - it’s an ND and CPL in one. Handy. I put a review up on my blog -

I’ve not had an issue with having them come off in the field even when I’m carrying the camera around or paddling in the kayak and taking it in and out of the drybag. The cap though has less strength in its reversed position which you have to use when the other side of the filter is in play.

I’d recommend you check out Maven magnetic filters the reviews I’ve read are very good. If I was to replace my current magnetic filters ( I believe magnetic is the best way to go) I’d purchase the Maven brand.