Making Snowballs

Winter weed catches snow at a local watershed nature area.

#ig @jennatwitsend

Hi Jennifer - welcome (back) to NPN. This is a lovely find. Looks like it could be Queen Anne’s Lace or possibly a parsnip of some kind. I like your title for it, too. Lovely use of a wider aperture to emphasize the softness here.

I brought it into Photoshop to do a few things -

Clone out some stems on the left
Correct the magenta color cast
Add a curves layer to brighten snow and add some contrast
Crop to square

Hope you like it!

You didn’t say what settings or processing techniques you used, so what I did may not be possible in your software, but most likely a lot of it is. Glad you decided to put this into the Weekly Challenge! It’s perfect for the theme.

Jennifer, welcome to NPN. The “fist of snow” looks great and the main subject is set of nicely by it’s out-of-focus (oof) companions. I like the surroundings as they show more of the environment. You could crop this to 4x5 dropping the right and retain all of the same sense that it has now.

Jennifer - I have a ton of these at my local nature reserve here in Oregon - I love how you captured this scene.

Well seen. I like the composition but agree with the changes that were made by Kris. Great idea to take these images.

Welcome, Jennifer! What a lovely, surprising image! Wonderful find, well photographed! @Kris_Smith has good suggestions for further processing to get the center of interest out of the center of the frame, some nice cleanup and a good color correction.

It does help viewers to have information on your equipment and processing, as well as your thoughts on the image.

Thanks all for the comments!
Based on the suggestions, I re-edited the image.