Male Cinnamon Teal in Breeding Plumage

Description:

Male Cinnamon Teal in Breeding Plumage keeping intense watch on his mate feeding off to the left. Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge in Washington state has a really nice drive around part where you can use your car as a blind and shoot right out the window.

I’ve photographed a lot of birds over the years, but certainly don’t consider it a photographic strength.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No
Canon 7D, 300mm f/2.8, 1/500sec @ f/4, ISO 320, beanbag on the car window.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Excellent, David. I love the composition and the way the bird is looking away yet there’s a great view of the eye. This also appeals to my taste for half hidden bird images.

2 Likes

I like this image for the same reasons that Dennis does. In addition I find the water droplets on both the grasses and the Teal to be most appealing. Wonderful composition.

1 Like

Maybe the first time I’ve seen a Teal out of the water – refreshingly different. I love the shallow DOF and the intent look.

1 Like

HI David
Thank you for the photograph, I have never seen a Cinnamon Teal in or out of the water. The framing, water droplets, and eye contact is great. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like