Male Tiger with young cub II

Second image of same tigers that was published in a book on Bandhavgarh National Park. This was a famous male Tiger of his time, named B 1, who had the biggest head of its time. Authors were looking for images of old tigers and they came in touch with me.

It was great to see old technology sitting pretty with the latest tech.

Specific Feedback Requested

How do you compare this image with latest digital tech?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon film camera with 70-200 mm lens.

jagdeeprajputphotographie
2 Likes

This one is even better than the first you posted. No wonder they wanted it for the book. Has it been published yet, btw? And if so, in the US? I’d buy a copy.

The light is to die for and you handled the exposure perfectly. No mean feat considering the rich blacks and sere yellows in this image. That is one incredible cat and I like the relationship you’ve caught between the two. Branches come in to frame them nicely. Very glad you dusted this one off. Just look at the light catching B1’s massive head and paws. Rimlight do they call that in studio portraiture? Superlative.

Thanks @Kris_Smith it is published. I’m posting here the cover of book and the link to buy it too.

Very impressive specimen! That face is is just so majestic. I also like the pose he is in and having the younger tiger in the background sort of gives it a feel of an older wildlife painting for a guidebook.

1 Like

Jagdeep, the placement of the two tigers and the subtle difference in sharpness looks great. The youngster’s teeth showing is a fine addition, also. When I look at the largest view, I feel like shapes in the oof highlights are nicer due to the shape of the grain in the film. That said, today’s digital cameras provide significantly more dynamic range, so I’d pick digital over film (at least for 35mm) every time.

1 Like