Male Violet-green Swallow Feeding Youngster

I was walking back to the house from my blind the other day when I saw lots of feeding activity at this box mounted above the back of our pump house. Since these swallows are very used to us, I set up nearby, went to f/11 and raised the iso to get a half-way decent shutter speed, then fired away whenever I saw the youngsters start to gape. I managed to get a couple of acceptable images, of which this is the best. The white on the adult was more strongly lit that the rest, so there were considerable adjustments in post processing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 484 mm tripod with ball head and Sidekick mount, f/11, 1/1000 (a bit more shutter speed would have helped), iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image, feather detail enhancement with Topaz Detail 3. Lots of adjustments to local exposure. The adult was against an almost white background, so I painted in some color from the rest of the image. Taken at 2:38 pm on July 4th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A difficult shot you handled nicely, Dennis. Good reflexes!

Best,
Terry

Wow, nice capture Dennis.

An excellent interaction shot; well timed.

Hi Dennis, love these gorgeous swallows and this is a wonderful interaction you have captured. Post processing looks good to me. I see what you mean about faster shutter speed but this is still a very effective image IMO.