Tree Swallow

Nothing particularly special in the way of an image, but I just acquired a used Sony A6500 and am figuring it out. It seems to couple well with the Sigma 150-600 C through the Sigma MC11 adapter, but takes some getting used to and fiddling with the myriad settings. I do like the very quiet operation compared with the machine gun sound of the 7DII. We’ll see how it pans out in the long run.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A6500, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/640, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction in DxO Photolab. Cropped from a 24 MP horizontal to a 9.8 MP vertical. Taken yesterday under overcast skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Cool shot! I dig the way its chest feathers fluff out on each side. Side note: I was down at our lake today and saw a bunch of these guys swarming around but I never got lucky to see one lit and available to shoot. Did you look to see what this would’ve looked like with a little off the top? I wish my camera was quiet. Better for close in critter work, huh.

Dennis, this is spot on: tack sharp, beautiful pose, beautiful perch, well composed, well processed. I don’t think it can be done any better.

Really like the feeling imparted on this image with respect to the light and the wonderful background. You got a good head turn, excellent detail and an interesting perch. I haven’t seen any swallows it all around my place as of yet. They will eventually make it up here.

A beauty!
Sharp, excellent pose, ruffled feathers, great BG, bright eye, and interesting perch. Perfect!

An excellent example, imo, of an “ideal” image, for the newer people. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandy

I love these little birds. I’d say your new equipment is a success. Beautiful detail in the feathers. I like the pose and the perch. Really, I like it all!

A striking pose Dennis. Techs are perfect-especially the exposure.