Tree Swallow

I was out the other morning and this female Tree Swallow was nice enough to pose.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC, hand held, f/9, 1/1250, iso540, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4432x5496. Minor adjustments to the bird. Taken at 8:43 AM on June 19th.

2 Likes

Nice portrait Dennis with fine details and exposure on the bird. Background looks good too. No nits from me.

She gave you a terrific pose and you took advantage of it, Dennis. All the techs are excellent and a nice bg.

Superb job on the color, detail, perch, and background. These guys don’t sit still for long and it is difficult to get close enough for good detail.

Wow, beautiful details on the swallow and I really like the background too! It’s not often that they sit still!

@David_Schoen and @Vanessa_Hill While they don’t sit still much during the day, having a bunch of them in the back yard makes them fairly easy. I find that ours fly around a lot very early in the morning, then come in for awhile and perch and maybe preen before they go out for a full day of foraging and feeding babies. Since she was probably born in one of our boxes and is used to us being around, she let me get quite close enough for good images.

1 Like

Bravo on the shot and the fact that you can observe them closely enough to understand habits and patterns. While kayaking recently I saw several houses set on the river’s edge that were positively swarming with adults and fledglings. A frenzy of activity and noise.

That’s so nice! On my bike ride I have a few places where I know I’ll always see them and practice my flying shots! There’s one place where I can tell they must have nests under a bridge that’s over a ditch with water I go over because they’re always flying under it and I can hear their calls. It’s like a noisy swallow city!

Beautiful detail, classic pose and a gorgeous BG!

Nice job, and the lady looks just fine ! Great that she allows you to come a bit closer. Love it. Hans

Hi Dennis
Any time you can get a Tree Swallow to set and pose like this, take the shot. Very nice work on the whites, gray and detail. You even got the eye to stand out.
Peter