Tree Swallow

This morning I found the Tree Swallows in good light – for about 5 minutes, as the sun was briefly filtered by a tree just leafing out and another one in the BG with some light on it.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 1000mm, f/14 (wide open), ISO 2000, 1/200 sec., tripod. Thin ice for that focal length and a twitchy bird, but the air was cool and calm so very little thermal blurring. I’ve been looking for a good fluid-damped head for this relatively lightweight lens. I’ve always felt its lower inertia compared the 600 f/4 may be contributing to some subtle loss of sharpness at low shutter speeds. Can’t say I’ve tested that, but I got the Gitzo fluid damped head and I’m very pleased with it compared to the Wimberley II, which may just be getting worn out. (Also engaging in the fantasy of being able to shoot better video.)

Basic LR shadows and highlights. Cropped to about 85% of the full frame, Topaz NR with only its default subtle sharpening, minor BG cloning for a brown area in the UL and Nik Detail Extractor.

1 Like

I like the pose and the different shades of blue. Nice perch and background.

Woah this is nice. Such rich color and soft light. You did good getting it when you could. Terrific. Do you have any branches set lower to the ground that they would perch on? I mean birds in general, not necessarily these guys. A lower vantage point would be interesting as well.

Really good job here. The head turn in detail are superb. I like the composition a lot. They never sit still for me.

Another fine image, Diane. Well done. I love the background and the pose on the bird.

Thanks everyone! @Kris_Smith, I do have a few lower branches set up near the feeders but haven’t had time to stake them out. I will surface again next week, with vows to not undertake any more “projects”…

These birds are more tolerant of my presence than the others around here, and I think I can get a better viewpoint, but not with that BG, which is a rather small group of branches that catch the morning light so nicely. The bird house is on a pole on a hillside and I can get to the uphill side and get level with them. I think I can rotate the house so the perch is at a good angle and maybe have a decent BG. (I’ll let you know…)

Such a beautiful little bird, so well shot! Yellow and blue always seem to work. A great pose as well.

I’ve never had a skerrick of luck shooting these!

I hope we get to see your “projects”!

Thanks everyone! I finally had time to set up uphill to shoot from a better angle when they disappeared. Apparently the youngsters fledged when I wasn’t looking. I hope they use the same nest box next year and I’ll be ready for them now that I have a better fix on their schedule. They don’t waste any time breeding.