Tree Swallow

I’ve hardly had time to shoot anything lately but a pair of Tree Swallows have been interested in one of the birdhouses I put up last year, and I managed to get close enough for a few shots. Last year it was used by Western Bluebirds, and they have been hanging out near it too. We’ll see who wins. I should try to mount it lower before it’s occupied.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome! Dark spot in UR corner needs to go.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 648mm and about 70% of the full frame, f/14, ISO 1600, 1/1250 sec, tripod. Minor tonal tweaks with some light clouds. The brightest whites were not technically blown but featureless and a linear profile couldn’t recover any detail.

A fine look at this swallow. Nice bg and good perch. Thanks for providing them a place to nest. Put up another box and each species can settle in!

You caught him in a nice pose. The whites look pretty good with detail showing in most areas. Agree about the URC, but otherwise it’s a nice background that works well with the swallow’s colors.

Thanks @terryb and @Allen_Brooks! I have 4 nest boxes up, only two visible from the house. Bluebirds are hanging around both of the ones I can see, but no idea if it’s the same couple. The other day I found one of the ones away from the house crammed full of acorns!! (They got dumped, and probably put right back. I’ll check tomorrow. No shortage of granaries here with a lot of dead oak limbs from aging and fire-damaged trees.)

Really like this, Diane. The head position really sells it. The background is fine and accentuates the bird. Love the soft out of focus areas.

HI Diane
Nice looking Tree Swallow, I like the head turn and eye contact. The whites look ok and the over all framing is balanced.