Cliff Swallow

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Here’s a shot I got of a Cliff Shallow as it flew from its nest under the eave of a building. That’s the building wall in the BG. These guys are frustratingly hard to capture they are so fast, and unpredictable. I finally snagged this one. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/3200th, 280mm, ISO 640, hand held, AI Clear, cropped to 131=6 x 1453

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi,

That is a fine shot of one of these speed demons. I have failed miserably at getting a decent shot of any swallows in flight. This image will be helped with more space around the bird. Not much is needed, but a rectangular crop might suit this image better than a square format. Other than that, this will look fine on the wall. The BG color is perfect for this bird. Awesome shot…Jim

Excellent job, Dave. We have 7 nests on the side of our garage, and I still don’t have a flight shot of one. To my eye, the far wing looks a bit oversharpened. I suspect that was where the focus was and in sharpening the rest, that got a bit too much. If you want to play with it, you could mask that area prior to sharpening. My eye is also bothered by the kind of fringe along the wings and you might look at cleaning that up.

A great shot.

Nice catch. If you still have the space, I would like to see it dropping into the photo, position swallow in upper right a bit. Maybe dodge the top of the head a tad, but not a huge issue.

Hi Dave
This is a great shot of the Swallow, not the easiest bird to even find in the lens when they are flying. The eye and body detail are great, the wings edges could be motion blur. Al Clear may be working to hard at making them sharp? Jim maybe correct on the crop.
Peter

I changed the cropping to give it more room to “fly into”, massaged its wing edges, and reduced the harsh sharpening on its left wing. I do like it better. Yeah? No?

1 Like

I think this is a nice improvement, Dave. You might look at half-way between on that rear wing sharpening, but it’s still good this way.