In-flight Swallow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There are some buildings nearby that have an annual infestation of cliff swallows nesting in the eaves and it’s fun to try for some action shots. I’ve been utilizing my Z9’s ability to “pre-capture” action. I wish it would let me shoot in RAW but it’ll only let me use JPEG. I would never have gotten this shot w/o that function. It’s very wasteful of “film” even with my setting of 1 second pre-capture and 1 second real time. At 20fps every time I hit the shutter I get 40 shots. Still worth it to me. All that stuff in the BG is the ineffective netting they put up to keep the birds out. Doesn’t quite work.

Specific Feedback

Cropping?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/3200th, f 9.0, 435mm, ISO 2500, cropped to 1585 x 1195

The cropping looks fine to me, Dave. Interesting-we put up nesting platforms for the cliff swallows. The large crop is starting to show a bit. The eye looks sharp, but there’s no fine detail in the feathers. Still a good catch-I’ve tried for this kind of shot with a notable lack of success.

Great in flight catch Dave. These guys are so unpredictable. It was nice to have a general area for you to focus and use your camera’s tools effectively.

In flight shots can be really tough to catch but you managed to get this one Dave. Everything looks pretty sharp to me and I like that you caught the downward thrust, showing off that fascinating wing structure. You might think about darkening or removing that bright line on the left; somewhat distracting.

Great stop action off such a hard subject to catch. The eye capture shows that you were the center of his concentration just as he was off yours!