Inflight Swallow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Every year around this time there’s a cliff swallow invasion on the side of a building at a nearby lake. They are furiously gathering mud at the lakeshore and constructing nests. They put up lots of netting under the eaves but it doesn’t stop them. They build under the netting. They are a challenge to get inflight, quick little buggers that they are.

Specific Feedback

I darkened the BG a little to pop the subject. I’m wondering if I should’ve completely gone to black with it. I decided that the BG texture (netting) didn’t distract too much so I left it. Yeah?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 540mm, ISO 2500, cropped to 2503 x 1759, darkened BG using LR, also used Photo AI for the subject.

Very good, Dave. We have a small colony on our garage (deliberately) and I’ve never gotten a decent flight shot. The netting doesn’t bother me, though I did wonder what it was until I read your post.

Hi Dave, these are such tough birds to get in the frame while flying much less a focused shot. So well done on this capture! I also could tell the background was a man made structure but unsure what it was. Given your explanation, the BG helps to tell a story of the resilience of these birds.

I’ve always wanted to capture a good image of one of these little speed demons. You’ve done it! The netting is a little bit of a distraction but it also adds to the story so it’s a wash. :slight_smile: Well done!