Cliff Swallow

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I finally got a decent action shot of a Cliff Swallow but it was in front of a building wall so I made the wall go away and put in a blue sky. D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/3200th, f/8.0, ISO 640, 390mm, AI Clear, ReMask 5

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Dave: Thanks for letting us know that the original was a building and that you removed it. Not an issue. The issue is the blue sky you replaced it with does not look natural at all. I grabbed your image and desaturated the blue and changed the hue to a sky that seems more realistic.

1 Like

Swallows are tough to get in flight, so Kudos on a great shot. Excellent colors and detail. Agree with changes Keith made.

Very nice image, and I know very well that swallows are difficult subjects to freeze in flight (many wasted photos on my side - good that it is not film any moreā€¦). This one is masterly depicted. I agree that the ā€œoriginalā€ blue of the sky was a bit too strongā€¦

Great catch of a difficult subject.
Keithā€™s blue BG is an improvement to an already-nice image.
Do you have a monitor that can be calibrated? If so, that would help get more realistic colours on both your and our monitors.
Sandy

Great catch, Dave. Swallows are very, very tough to photograph on the wing. We have a ton f them nesting on our property and I still donā€™t have a flight shot I like. While the angle on this one isnā€™t ideal, you really nailed the focus and exposure. My only nit is that the sky doesnā€™t look right. Iā€™ve never seen that shade of blue overhead.