Maribou stork catching bit of meat

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is action sharp enough? Major crop.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Overall composition, too much or too little crop

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 7D M II, Canon 100-400mm 4.5/5.6L IS II USM @ 182mm,
tripod from blind.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

An interesting “portrait”, John. You wouldn’t think such a large bird would bother with such a small tidbit. You caught the action at a very neat moment. I think the crop works, though I am starting to see a bit of loss of quality. You might try one of the newer “enlargement” software packages on the original and then crop to here. I haven’t played with them myself, but I’ve heard they’re pretty good. Well done.

Hi John, I’ll pretty much echo what Dennis said. Composition looks fine to me but the bird is soft I suppose due to the large crop. Running noise reduction on the background would help. Still, a fine capture just at the right moment.

A nice look at the stork in action. Agree with running some NR on background.

Very cool image and great timing. Yes, a bit of NR on the background would be nice, but it’s certainly not a deal breaker for the image.

What a catch, for you and the bird, John! Perfect timing.